Registry Scan

Jacob

I am starting to begin to suspect that you have malware on your computer. Do you have an active firewall, plus up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. When did you run your last scan?

Yes I have all these set up and ran my last scan on Sunday.

The owner of the computer; the Administrator; the one that has set up and knows the Administrator password. Have you installed Windows on this computer? If so, what is the Administrator password that you have specified during the installation? (As I wrote earlier, most people just hit Enter, creating a null password. Since the null password does not work for your Administrator user, you must have given a real password. Use this!)

Ok, a friend done it so hopfuly he remembers the password used.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[When I try to down load it, I get a Uniblue box message saying that my Computer may have corrupted, unused and possible harmful information in it's registry compromising performance and security.

This really does not sound like a clean computer - I don't think this is Windows or any legitimate component warning you. Do you know where this message is coming from.

Anyway, try again to download the WinZip installer from the source: http://download.winzip.com/winzip111.exe and see if it successfully downloads and installs.

This really does not sound like a clean computer - I don't think this is Windows or any legitimate component warning you. Do you know where this message is coming from.

Anyway, try again to download the WinZip installer from the source: http://download.winzip.com/winzip111.exe and see if it successfully downloads and installs.

The warning box appears when I select setup from the Winzip box

post-11147-1207123416_thumb.jpg

Jacob, just touch the radio button against the "NO Thanks".

You should be able to proceed with the installation then, biggrin.gif

I had tried the "NO Thanks"option, then ticked the radio button that says install... this time I tried repair, and it installed fine! I have just removed the whole programme and downloaded WinZip once more, I got that same warning touching radio for "NO Thanks", clicked install and it's all set up fine.

Hope I haven't been wasting peoples time!?

As mentioned earlier:

I am also having trouble with my printer so I tried to uninstall it, but get: EPSON Printer Driver Setup has encountered problem and needs to close. ??

Last week I down loaded a free Trojan scan programme, it found 1 in the drivers of my printer.

Jacob, just touch the radio button against the "NO Thanks".

You should be able to proceed with the installation then, biggrin.gif

I had tried the "NO Thanks"option, then ticked the radio button that says install... this time I tried repair, and it installed fine! I have just removed the whole programme and downloaded WinZip once more, I got that same warning touching radio for "NO Thanks", clicked install and it's all set up fine.

Hope I haven't been wasting peoples time!?

As mentioned earlier:

I am also having trouble with my printer so I tried to uninstall it, but get: EPSON Printer Driver Setup has encountered problem and needs to close. ??

Last week I down loaded a free Trojan scan programme, it found 1 in the drivers of my printer.

post-11147-1207126768_thumb.jpg

There are always possibilities that anti virus/trojan/spyware programs detect false positives. These detections will usually be corrected within a few days (by the anti software developers), so please download the latest detection data for your anti-malware program (Trojan Hunter?) and run it again.

It is also recommended that you run a second independent program, just to make sure. I personally recommend an online scan with http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ - make sure you run v6.6 if you are on Vista.

According to Jacob's initial post ............... UniBlue RegistryBooster2 :)

I would suggest he installs and runs the free CCleaner v2.06.567 - Slim

from here ........ http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

and lets that sort out any Registry problems ?

Previously in the post, I followed Alan2273's advise bellow and down loaded from the link, not sure if this is the same version?

Try this program, http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

When installed go to tools, then find the WinZip entry from the list, highlight it then click run uninstaller.

This program is also good for cleaning your registry.

When opening the programem I select Registry and then which boxes to I check?

It is the same product, but I am not sure if Filehippo offers the slim version.

Caution: running any form of "registry cleaner" can result in serious problems. Make sure that you do a registry backup before you start any registry manipulation, including "cleaning". ERUNT is a time-proven tool to backup and restore the Windows registry.

The full version contains the dreaded Yahoo! toolbar, although it can be deactivated during the install. The full version also contains all language versions of CCleaner. The slim version contains only English, and of course no toolbar.

Housecall can take quite a long time, but it has been a while since I ran it last. In my experience 6.6 runs better than 6.5

Ok

Should I use the slim version?

I followed your link to the online HouseCall, allowed for the ActiveX controls and am waiting patiently does it take a while? it has been testing platform and browser for around 10 minutes.

Sorry I did not install the java down load, I will see what happens now.

I leave all of the boxes checked.

HOWEVER, when you are asked if you want to back up the registry before you "Fix all the selected issues", you MUST say YES. :D

Thanks,

Is the a link I can read about registry/registry clean up? is it like defragmentation? will it make my computer run better?

How will I know if by deleting the registries I have caused damage?

You could read through this....

WIKIPEDIA

.... However, please be very careful when dealing with the registry on your computer.

So when doing a scan using CCleaner I cant just fix all selected issues?

Yes you can, PROVIDING that you have done a backup of your registry before doing so. (You are prompted to do it during the process).