Enquiries on the use of the paid version of AVG 8.0

Retail_Mence

First of all, I have to honestly tell you guys that I had not used any anti-virus softwares for the last 2 years.

And for the last 2 years, I was not hacked by any one of the hackers on the internet.

In this week, I was terrified by a hacker who hacked my computer daily. :huh:

If you asked me if I am suer I had been hacked deliberately, my answer is, I am unsure.

I can just tell it's really highly likely that some hackers hack my computer with the Trojan Horse, W32.Bactera, etc. Because in the last 2 years I did not have such kind of experience.

I am really unfamiliar with the computer stuff. I am really a computer idiot. :(

So, being hacked daily, I seeked for help. I got to the AVG anti-virus website and paid for the AVG Internet Security 8.0 for about US$73.00 (I am not sure of the exact amount, just a round off).

I installed the AVG 8.0 on my computer, but, in the same time, I have the expired version of Symantec anti-virus client.

I downloaded the paid version of AVG 8.0 because it offers the real-time protection against internet threats.

Here comes my problem, how can I make sure that the real-time protection is in effective? Because it just seems that the interface of AVG 8.0 Internet Security is just the same as that of the free version of AVG 8.0.

Another problem is, should I uninstall the expired version of Symantec anti-virus client in order to let the AVG 8.0 Internet Security in effective?

Thanks very much for you guys answer and help.

A terrified Netizen

I had formatted my computer once in this week because of the virus that was sent to me by the terrifying hacker

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

I cannot tell you about AVG, as I don't know it. But several other forum members use it, so they may be able to tell you.

You should definitely uninstall the expired antivirus software, as it may still conflict with your new av. Also, Symantec has ways to wreck computers with expired software!

Does your AVG software contain a firewall? Or do you have another active firewall (e.g. Windows XP firewall)? A firewall is absolutely needed these days to prevent malevolent intrusions.

You should definitely remove the Symantec anti-virus - having 2 A/V applications installed on the same PC can cause serious problems.

Use this tool to completely and automatically uninstall your Symantec software :-

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

W32/Bactera is a worm which spreads through P2P network sharing software.

First of all, I have to honestly tell you guys that I had not used any anti-virus softwares for the last 2 years.

And for the last 2 years, I was not hacked by any one of the hackers on the internet.

In this week, I was terrified by a hacker who hacked my computer daily. :huh:

If you asked me if I am suer I had been hacked deliberately, my answer is, I am unsure.

I can just tell it's really highly likely that some hackers hack my computer with the Trojan Horse, W32.Bactera, etc. Because in the last 2 years I did not have such kind of experience.

I am really unfamiliar with the computer stuff. I am really a computer idiot. :(

So, being hacked daily, I seeked for help. I got to the AVG anti-virus website and paid for the AVG Internet Security 8.0 for about US$73.00 (I am not sure of the exact amount, just a round off).

I installed the AVG 8.0 on my computer, but, in the same time, I have the expired version of Symantec anti-virus client.

I downloaded the paid version of AVG 8.0 because it offers the real-time protection against internet threats.

Here comes my problem, how can I make sure that the real-time protection is in effective? Because it just seems that the interface of AVG 8.0 Internet Security is just the same as that of the free version of AVG 8.0.

Another problem is, should I uninstall the expired version of Symantec anti-virus client in order to let the AVG 8.0 Internet Security in effective?

Thanks very much for you guys answer and help.

A terrified Netizen

I had formatted my computer once in this week because of the virus that was sent to me by the terrifying hacker

You should NOT have two firewalls or anti virus programs running at the same time, they could conflict. Uninstall the Norton product, it is NOT well liked on this forum for many reasons. You may need to visit their website to obtain tools to completely uninstall this program, and even then you may never be completely rid of bits and pieces of it until such time as Windows is reinstalled. :D

Alright, I had just uninstalled the expired Symantec anti-virus client.

But, my first problem is still here, how can I make sure if the real-time protection function of the AVG 8.0 is in effective?

Should I wait till the next time I was hacked and then I would be able to realize if the real-time protection is on or not?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "hacked". If it is really an outside intrusion, then you need an active firewall. Check if AVG has a firewall or not, and if not, either activate the Windows firewall, or install a 3rd-party firewall such as Comodo or ZoneAlarm.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "hacked". If it is really an outside intrusion, then you need an active firewall. Check if AVG has a firewall or not, and if not, either activate the Windows firewall, or install a 3rd-party firewall such as Comodo or ZoneAlarm.

Dear Pat_Willener,

you had guessed it right, it's really the matter of the firewall.

Now, my firewall is in full function.

Before I post this post in this forum, the remorsless hacker hack me again, and, with the firewall in full function, all threats were blocked and no viruses were allowed to get access to my computer.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Actually, before the installation of the paid version of AVG 8.0 Internet Security, I had already installed the AVG 8.0 Free Edition. But, a shortcoming of the AVG 8.0 Free Edition is that it does not offer real-time protection. That means, it has no firewall protection.

After I had paid for the AVG 8.0 Internet Security, I installed it, replacing the original Free Edition.

But, during the installation process, I am not aware that if I want to add in the firewall installation, I have to tick the firewall installation. So, I had just passed it and firewall was not installed on my computer.

That's why I am not sure if real-time protection is in effective.

Now, I had uninstalled and re-installed the AVG 8.0 Internet Security and firewall and web-shield, etc are installed.

Now, I feel fully protected. :lol:

I am very happy with the AVG 8.0 Internet Security as it did not slow down my computer.

It's very easy to use.

Now, here, I would like to use this chance to tell others that it's quite important for the user to read the user manual first as the manual contains some important information that are useful to the users.

I had read the user manual and it's very easy to read. It's nothing difficult for the layman like me.

I really feel good with it.

I like Japan Doraemon,

Pat_Willener,

on top of the firewall matter,

if you can provide some idea as to track down the remoresless hacker and file him a lawsuit,

that would be very much appreciated.

Do you have any idea as how to track it down?

Or, do other netizens have any idea as how to track down the hacker who send a virus to me daily?

I am really annoyed with that :angry:

If your computer is under attack from a hacker (direct intrusion attempts), then your firewall will log all these activities. You will find exactly what IP address the attack is coming from.

The same goes for virus email senders; you should find the originating IP address in the message headers, and you can complain to the ISP of the originator. http://www.spamcop.net/ is a good tool for that.

However, most of these sort of attacks - both direct intrusions and email malware - usually originate from infected computers, not persons who have a grudge against you. But if you find from the originating IP addresses that it is coming from a specific person targeting you, then you should contact your local police.

Let us know what you find, and we may be able to assist you more.

Thank you for liking Doraemon! :flowers:

To check if the AVG product is trapping problems go to the folowing site and follow the instructions

Go into www.eicar.org

Click on “Anti Malware Test File”

Click on “eicar.com68 bytes” just below red print.

Should get threat screen. Proving that the AVG is working

Click cancel and do not download

Hope this gives you confidence