Firewalls NV Active Armour v Windows

johnoo

I currently have NV Active Armour firewall activated with the Windows Firewall turned off.

This is giving one problem, this being that the NV firewall is blocking access to "Internet Explorer" (this has been verified by the NV log)

If the NV firewall is deactivated and the Windows firewall activated the problem goes away.

This is only a minor inconveniance as I generally use other Browsers ( BT Yahoo/ Firefox), and both are not affected by this problem.

But it would be nice to have all Browsers operational.

What do you think? Is the Windows Firewall sufficient to protect the system?

What would I be losing by turning off NV and relying on Windows?

I should also state that I have AVG and Spybot (with immunisation) set up and being used.

Why do you use Active Armour ? It is known to be full of bugs and causes problems.

IMHO you do need a "proper" firewall as the one included in XP is useless as regards giving you protection against anything getting out of your PC.

The free Comodo and Zone Alarm Firewalls are more than adequate for most home users.

Why do you use Active Armour ? It is known to be full of bugs and causes problems.

IMHO you do need a "proper" firewall as the one included in XP is useless as regards giving you protection against anything getting out of your PC.

The free Comodo and Zone Alarm Firewalls are more than adequate for most home users.

Boris,

Thanks, do you know or how can I find out if Comodo and Zone Alarm are compatable with AVG and Spybot?

Also I have heard that there was a problem with Zone Alarm and compatability with Microsoft mod KB951748, is this true? has it been solved?

Both Comodo and Zone Alarm Free work fine with AVG +SpyBot.

I use ZA on 4 machines and have Comodo on 3 other rigs - all have AVG +SpyBot on them.

Just make sure if you select Zone Alarm that you download and install the Free Version :)

Link to the latest ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.020.000 - which works very happily with XP :D

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

The KB951748 problems are just history now :)

Both Comodo and Zone Alarm Free work fine with AVG +SpyBot.

I use ZA on 4 machines and have Comodo on 3 other rigs - all have AVG +SpyBot on them.

Just make sure if you select Zone Alarm that you download and install the Free Version :)

Link to the latest ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.020.000 - which works very happily with XP :D

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

The KB951748 problems are just history now :)

Out of interest, why do you think that the Windows Firewall is no good, and has anybody else got an opinion?

The windows firewall is only one way, while the others block incoming and outgoing. I would think that others have not given an opinion because Boris is a well respected member and has given you sound advice that they can't improve on.

The windows firewall is only one way, while the others block incoming and outgoing. I would think that others have not given an opinion because Boris is a well respected member and has given you sound advice that they can't improve on.

Boris/Rong,

I was not trying to be disrespectful, just asking for other opinions,I now have to decide Comodo or Zone Alarm.

Sorry I was not suggesting you where being disrespectful, I prefer Zone alarm as I find it less intrusive, but others like Comondo

I am a little "scared" about downloading Comodo or ZA,I have never done this before.

Would I just have to turn of the current Firewall, NV Active Armour, or would I have to remove the Program? If I remove I assume I do it via the "Control Panel"

I also note that NV has 2 programs (a) Drivers and (B) Access Manager, if I have to remove do I remove both.

Sorry that these may seem very basic questions but I want to get it right.

Why do you use Active Armor ? It is known to be full of bugs and causes problems.

@ johnoo

You haven't replied to my question above :(.

Why did you choose Active Armor in the first place ? - does it include any functions other than as a firewall that you need ?

If not, then I suggest you first download ZA from my link.

Then remove Active Armor - via Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs

Then install ZA Free making sure that you do NOT accept any of the "free trial"s of other (to be paid for) enhancements that are offered in the process.

Why do you use Active Armor ? It is known to be full of bugs and causes problems.

@ johnoo

You haven't replied to my question above :(.

Why did you choose Active Armor in the first place ? - does it include any functions other than as a firewall that you need ?

If not, then I suggest you first download ZA from my link.

Then remove Active Armor - via Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs

Then install ZA Free making sure that you do NOT accept any of the "free trial"s of other (to be paid for) enhancements that are offered in the process.

Boris,

I did not choose Active Armour, it was put on the M/c when my supplier made it.

I knew even less then than I do now about Security systems (and I don't know much now)

You ask does it include any other functions--- Answer I don't think so, when I go into the Orange and White shield icon, I get a small menu

Profile-- Set to Medium

View Current Profile, when clicked on shows Ethernet and Firewall on left hand side, it states that the Build number is 4.65, and componant version 50.23, all the rest is too complicated for me.

Also it shows a menu for Firewall log and Statistics.

Hope this explaions the situation to you.

regards

In that case - do as I suggested in my last post :)

Boris,

Much obliged for all the advise.

I will not be implementing for a few weeks as I am going away and do not want any problems on my mind. I generally find that if I rush miskakes occur!

Will let you know the outcome later.