Cable Broadband Speed

AlanHo

A few months ago I was using Telewest 2 Mb cable broadband and decided to upgrade to 4 Mb to speed up internet usage and take advantage of the promised free upgrade to 10 Mb sometime this summer.

After upgrading to 4 Mb I ran some speed tests and sure enough was getting close to 4 Mb - but to be honest I was quite unable to detect any real speed increase in actual web usage. Big file downloads were probably quicker - but I failed to notice it.

Today I did an internet speed test for no particular reason and found that during the past couple of months I have been upgraded to 10 Mb actual test speed results averaging 9.7 Mb. Although this has happened - again I have failed to notice much difference in actual browsing speed.

I am beginning to wonder whether I should go back to the cheaper 2 Mb package.

Any comment andsome - I recall you going up to 10 Mb on cable some months ago. Did you really notice much difference...?

A few months ago I was using Telewest 2 Mb cable broadband and decided to upgrade to 4 Mb to speed up internet usage and take advantage of the promised free upgrade to 10 Mb sometime this summer.

After upgrading to 4 Mb I ran some speed tests and sure enough was getting close to 4 Mb - but to be honest I was quite unable to detect any real speed increase in actual web usage. Big file downloads were probably quicker - but I failed to notice it.

Today I did an internet speed test for no particular reason and found that during the past couple of months I have been upgraded to 10 Mb actual test speed results averaging 9.7 Mb. Although this has happened - again I have failed to notice much difference in actual browsing speed.

I am beginning to wonder whether I should go back to the cheaper 2 Mb package.

Any comment andsome - I recall you going up to 10 Mb on cable some months ago. Did you really notice much difference...?

The difference will be found in file downloads and web pages that are big on images and video. :paperbag1:

As Chris says, some things are much faster and others do not seem to be much different. MS updates download MUCH faster, as do any other programs and updates that I download. Sites do not appear to open much if any faster at all. I will be sticking with 10MB. :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

To put it simply...

If a web page you are browsing has 100kb of data on it to download, and you are downloading at ~100kb/s you will load the page in rougly 1 second

If you open the exact same web page with a download speed of 200kb/s you will load the page at 0.5seconds. In theory anyway.

You can see why you wont notice much of a difference.... the load times are small to being with anyway. so doubling your speed will only halve a very small load time. As mentioned by "Chris" and "Andsome" you notice speed increases on larger files. Going of the theory i just wrote, if you are downloading a 100Mb file and it is going to take you 57 minutes at 100kb/s you will notice that the time should "in theory" decrease to around 28 minutes with a 200kb/s download speed.

Long story short, its only worth going with a larger bandwidth contract if you plan on downloading large or numerous files. If you just plan to surf the web, anything >1Mb/s is more than enough :)

I myslelf am on a 24Mb/s Contract with a 300Gb Download limit as I am a "Torrent Junkie" :P