The hair of the dog

catgate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oc...onomy-recession

As much use as a lead lifebelt. But at least their advisors are very familiar with the principle and know how to ensure it all ends in tears.

It wouldn't be that bad if this increased borrowing had just happened but the government has been borrowing over the last decade which was a time of strong growth and increasing tax receipts.

Hasn't this been tried before i.e. borrowing our way out of a recession and it didn't work? :unsure:

p.s. in the article Peter Mandelson says:

Yesterday the business secretary, Peter Mandelson, denied the government's new strategy amounted to "spend, spend, spend" but said a spending increase was possible since the government had been paying off debt over the last decade.

I thought that the government had been borrowing money over the last decade (despite strong growth) and not paying off some of the National Debt - I'm confused :blink:

What's the problem? I always thought that the best thing to do if you owe more money than you can pay back, was to borrow more to pay it back. Surely that makes sense? :0 :0 :0

I assume your only joking :D

This credit crunch/financial crisis has completely changed my view about debt and I now see it as a bad thing.

I have paid off all my debts (apart from my mortgage) over the last 18 months as I knew that my permanent job was coming to an end last march.

I'm now in a temporary job and I have no intention of going on a spending spree :0

In some ways it would be "natural justice" if the current collection of elected ne'er do well, misfit boys and girls (and the legion who are not sure what they are) were re-elected to sort out the dreadful mess that they have created and are continuing to create.

The tragedy would be that they would not sort it out, since they are all ego and no brain, and we, the general public, would still have to carry the can whilst they still stuck to the John Lewis list, as we will have to do who ever attempts to cleanse the Augean Stable.

• 1 month later...
I don't understand! What is about dog's hair?

In our country we have an old aphorism about the cure for the hangover caused by the previous nights alcohol intake. One is advised to partake of the "hair of the dog that bit you". Which means "have a little more of that which originally caused the trouble/problem".