Recycle bin problem

Luis 2012

Ok here's the problem. A couple of days back a i tried to empty the recycle bin and when it was done it gave me the error "Cannot Delete Desktop. Access is Denied.....blah blah the usual" The recycled been still emptied and there was nothing there. But now anytime i delete something and then i got to empty the recycle bin the same error pops up. It still empties it I just think its a bit annoying. I've looked in both the recycle bin and the Recycler Folder and enabled vied hidden and system files. There is nothing there/ nothing named desktop or anything I would appreciate the help thx.

Keep that recycle bin shortcut on your desktop but make a new one...

Follow these steps to make the new shortcut, once you've done that try deleting something with your new Recycle Bin shortcut and see if it works. If it does delete the old one, if not then there's something wrong with your actual recycle bin...

Make the new recycle bin...

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.

4. Click Yes when the warning message appears, and then click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.

5. Click Folders on the toolbar.

Note If Folders is not visible on the toolbar, point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click Standard Buttons.

6. In the left pane, under Folders, locate the Recycle Bin folder, and then drag the Recycle Bin folder to the desktop.

7. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

8. Click the View tab, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click OK

Keep that recycle bin shortcut on your desktop but make a new one...

Follow these steps to make the new shortcut, once you've done that try deleting something with your new Recycle Bin shortcut and see if it works. If it does delete the old one, if not then there's something wrong with your actual recycle bin...

Make the new recycle bin...

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.

4. Click Yes when the warning message appears, and then click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.

5. Click Folders on the toolbar.

Note If Folders is not visible on the toolbar, point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click Standard Buttons.

6. In the left pane, under Folders, locate the Recycle Bin folder, and then drag the Recycle Bin folder to the desktop.

7. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

8. Click the View tab, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click OK

I created the new recycle bin following the steps above then i deleted an old Word file. I then tried to empty the recycle bin but i still got the same error message. like i said the recycle bin still emptied, the error is just annoying any other help is appreciated.

Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin (See line 64 - column 2)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the REG File

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...erecyclebin.reg

to your hard disk.

Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

I downloaded the .reg file and installed it, then i rebooted so that windows would load the registry again. I still have the error message but thx. any more suggestions appreciated and needed.

I don't know if this will help but i booted into Safe Mode and into the Administrator account and I still get the same error.

Ok here's the problem. A couple of days back a i tried to empty the recycle bin and when it was done it gave me the error "Cannot Delete Desktop. Access is Denied.....blah blah the usual"

Try System Restore to a date before this problem occurred.

Also HERE is an article from MS about how the Recycle Bin works which might give you some help.

I found this on that article:

Damaged Recycled Folder

The Recycled folder itself can become damaged. Files are moved to the folder and the Recycle Bin on the desktop appears full, but you cannot view the contents and the Empty The Recycle Bin command is unavailable. Deleting this folder and restarting Windows will re-create this folder and restore functionality:

Restart to a command prompt.

Type attrib -s -h recycled.

Type del recycled.

Restart the computers.

You could spend ages trying various things to cure the problem. It looks as though the quickest way would be to save your data and carry out a reformat and clean re-install of your OS and programs.

This is my view as well as the relevant system files appear to have been corrupted. But there's 3 last option before doing a re-install as it's quite a drastic step and re-installing everything can be a big hassle. These 3 steps are:

1 Run scannow to repair system files (this require the original Windows installation disk - come back to the forum if you don't know how to do this). If that doesn't work:

2 Try a Windows Repair (which also requires the original Windows installation disk). And if that doesn't work:

3 If you have a registry back up from a time before this problem occurred, installing that may resolve the problem.

If you find you have to a re-install Windows make sure you have back-up copies of any programs you've paid for as well as your personal data.

well i repaired the system files from my recovery partition and the problem seems to be gone, but since i realized i ALWATS end up deleting the files 9emptying the recycle bin) i found an option to just delete them without sending them to the recycle bin. thx guys, this forum is great