FF Download Manager (Free)

Slyke

Does anyone know of a good, free download manager for Firefox?

When I say download manager, I mean a program, or add-on that automatically places the files I download using Firefox into specific folders according to their file extension types?

Failing that, would anyone know of a good file manager that does the same thing... but can be executed from a batch script (So I can do it on a scheduled task)?

Thanks for any suggestions :).

Hello Slyke, you could try Free Download Manager (HERE) which I've been using for about 6 months. There's a version specifically for FF. Make sure you download it from a reputable site (like FileHippo, the site I've linked above), as there are versions adapted by others to include nag-screens, adverts, etc. I've never had any problems with it & it will also save certain flash videos like YouTube, GoogleVideo & others.

I'd like to know how you get on with it, if you decide to try it.

To integrate Firefox in Orbit, open the Orbit main window and go Tools / Preferences... This will open a new window, click on Preferences and then select the tick box next to Firefox in the Browser Integration section at the bottom, OK it and you're done. It may have already picked it up during installation.

I tried Orbit and my firewall tells me that it tries to make a connection to a peer-2-peer network everytime I use it, even after I disabled the sharing information option. That means potentially others may have access to my media files...

Not sure as a matter of principle that I want that.

The P2P element is the Orbitnet download accelerator. You can easily disable this in the Preferences settings, I did.

So did I, but Sygate informed me that Orbit was still trying to make the P2P connection. I blocked it with the firewall & the download accelerator still went ahead, so that element clearly isn't essentail. Seems to be some deception going on here. I'll check the Sygate log later & report again.