Help please to choose a new recorder.

We have a Virgin Digital box at present and have thought of upgrading to a Virgin Plus box,(similar to a Sky plus box). The problem with this would be that we could not play our existing VHS tapes. We have never been satisfied with the recordings on our Sony VHS recorder, but would like to keep this so that we could carry on viewing our old family tapes etc.

What we would like to do, is to dispose of our Sony DVD player, and VHS recorder, and keep the existing Virgin box. We would then like, if such a machine exists, to buy a DVD recorder with hard drive, to record two channels simultaneously, and watch a third, I know these exist. However, the new machine would also need to play separate DVDs, and also play our old VHS tapes. Does such a machine exist, and if so does anyone have any recommendations, and prices? :D

One of my freinds has one of these (but an older model) which does a lot of what you seek. It can play/record DVD's, has a hard drive and VHS player/recorder.

Don't think it has multi tuners though - but not sure. he is away on holiday at present so cannot ask him.

He copied all his VHS tapes to DVD with the unit and swears it improved the video quality.

Click here

For a laugh - go to Comet - and ask an assistant for advice.

I just copied my VHS tapes to DVD's and also saved a lot of storage space.

Used a Daewoo Df 4700PN VCR /DVD recorder.

Thanks, I will have a look at that one :D

One of my freinds has one of these (but an older model) which does a lot of what you seek. It can play/record DVD's, has a hard drive and VHS player/recorder.

Don't think it has multi tuners though - but not sure. he is away on holiday at present so cannot ask him.

He copied all his VHS tapes to DVD with the unit and swears it improved the video quality.

Click here

For a laugh - go to Comet - and ask an assistant for advice.

Thanks. I have just been looking at that one on line. :D

I have given this more thought. It really does seem to be an expensive outlay when we would much prefer everything to be on DVD. I have decided to look for a DVD Recorder/Player with hard drive. I want to be able to record one digital channel while watching another, and pause live TV when the phone rings etc. The machine must also be capable of transferring our tapes to DVD's, then we can dispose of our tape machine and old DVD player. I do not want a top of the line machine, as they can be very complicated with far too many facilities that we would never use. A friend has such a machine and regrets paying over £400 for it. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced model which will do the job? It is difficult to find out the full specs on line for the machines that I have looked at so far. :D

Have now bought a Panasonic DMREX98V recorder. We are setting out shortly to buy a Panasonic TX32LZD81 TV. We bought the recorder from Appollo, they were asking £469.99 but matched an INTERNET price of £348. They have the TV listed at £699, but after I phoned them the info that it is available on line for £568 with delivery free, they have agreed a price match if I give them a print out of the INTERNET price. We will pop over there this afternoon. :D