Looking for best online backup solutions

JoeRyan

I am new to this stuff, and I usually work in a Windows environment. What would be the best way for me to secure my files, and make sure I don’t lose everything if my computer crashes? I have about 300 gigs of data, and one video file that is 30+ gigs large.

What about online backup? But I’ve also heard about these products and this one also work well.

Even the fear of death is nothing compared to the fear of not having lived authentically and fully. - Frances Moore Lappe

The problem I see with on-line backup is that if there is a catastrophic failure of your hard drive, how do you conveniently access the backed up data?

I would go for either an external hard drive - they aren't all that expensive or a secondary internal drive. For backup, a lot of people use Acronis but, recently, I been converted to keeping a clone of my "C" drive which I can swap over in a few moments case of drive failure - which can happen, does happen and has happened to me.

Personally I wouldn't trust online backup. It might be secure by a hard-working company but it's too open for my liking.

External hardware would be my best opinion, just like the infamous -pops- said above. CD's, DVD's, external/internal secondary hard drive, (you won't need a massive one, maybe you'll only need 5GB, depending on what type of files you're backing up.

If you do want to use online back ups though, I would just upload my files to a webserver where I can host my own files on the internet somewhere, or a website like MediaFire.

With these websites, especially MF, you can store as much as you want for free usually, and download your files later on. So if you zip your files, upload them to the website and then come back to them a couple months later they're safe. But that's a choice for one item a time. Not a total back up like Acronis would give you.

There's also the option of creating a Disc Image (your whole OS on a DVD) which you can use to restore your broken down computer if necessary.

For backup, a lot of people use Acronis but, recently, I been converted to keeping a clone of my "C" drive which I can swap over in a few moments case of drive failure - which can happen, does happen and has happened to me.

-pops-, I'm interested in advice about how to do that. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Backing up your data to another local drive or even some storage appliance on your local network is better than nothing, but what about theft or fire (or some other type of destructive catastrophe)? Online backup solutions are plentiful and their pricing is pretty reasonable. There's enough competition out there that they're becoming commodities. I just started up a review site that takes a deeper look at online backup solutions. Check it out at: BackupSolutionsReview.com

• 1 month later...