Safety lock for kids internet

Guest Kody

Guest Kody

My son is nine years old and I want to him internet savvy. I want him to familiarize himself with internet operations as knowledge of the internet is a must these days. And I think he is in the right age for this. But I am also aware of the hazards of internet usage and would like to safeguard my child from them. Is this possible?

There is all sorts of nanny or guardian software around which claims to do what you want but, be aware that one of the main topics of school playground conversation these days centres around ways to circumvent all of these protective programs.

If you want to use something like this, a Google search will offer loads of choices, some paid for, some free but bear in mind my earlier comments.

What I did with my granddaughters was to explain to them that all is not good in the world and there are some nasty people out there - some of them use the Internet. If they came across anything they didn't like, scared them or asked for any personal details of any kind they were to tell me or their parents straightaway.

I also made certain that they only used the computer in the presence of an adult (no secret viewings in their own room or anything like that).

I think both of them now have a sensible view of computers and the potential pitfalls with the elder one becoming quite computer savvy and now building her own machines under my guidance.

However careful you are, there is almost certain to be something that they will come across which is less than desirable and that will happen whether or not you have protective software installed.

Note: on the link given by Shelley there is a cost after a thirty day trial. Also, from what I can see, this is for email and not general web browsing.

I am still of the view that your own diligence and a few wise words are the best introduction to the Internet.

Being a parent brings its problems, like crossing the road without getting run down.

You can only teach properly by example, and that should be naturally occuring example.

The use of a computer is no different. You can not expect to sit a child at a computer and let the computer guide the child. The child will guide the computer.

I have a friend who is going through this at present. The things that are picked up at school are quite amazing.

Both the original poster Kody and Shelley the provider of the link to the wonderful solution appear to have very similar IP addresses :D

I do believe in coincidences, but ......................................

The advice given by -pops and catgate is sound - so I have deleted the offending reply, but left the topic.