Having problems with wireless

Hb_Kai

I've today had to reformat my laptop and am having problems with the wireless driver.

I have downloaded the very same one I had before and installed it, it detects the wireless connection I want to use but when I enter the wireless key to connect to it, Windows gives me a message at the bottom right saying "Wireless connection unavailable".

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or a laptop issue but before I reformatted I had no problem with the internet at all, I'm using the correct key, and have downloaded the right driver.

Does anyone here know what this is all about?

I didn't think I posted this earlier so made a new thread about it.... :( Sorry about that WF. Brain is everywhere today.

Not sure... Think hitting it on the head will make it remember?

If that's the problem, how would I go about fixing it? Could it be a hardware fault somehow, there was also a message once saying something about it being disconnected / connected on the installation or something similar so I'm thinking maybe when my poor laptop's cover was hit down hard it might have knocke out of place. But if that's so, it wouldn't know the hardware is there anyway, would it?

I can't view any settings of the router and to be honest, I don't know how to do that.

EDIT:- Nevermind, I went into Control Panel and was looking in Network and found some settings for it but couldn't find anything to allow my laptop or something like that. But I did however, find an icon with my laptop name on which since reformat has been changed.

Like, before my laptop name was Name, now it's Name's Name and it detected this, if you get me. But don't know much else. :(

When you tried typing rong's "type 192.168.0.1 into your browser" did you do it into the browser on your laptop or into the browser on your computer controlling the router?

192.168.0.1 should give you access to the router settings which are set through your control computer.

It has to be done through the router, not the PC or laptop and as you can't access the router through either then you wouldn't be able to do it. When I said shared I thought you shared the internet with several others in the household, or am I thinking of someone else.

I'm confused now. :)

There are 2 computers in the house. 1 is my laptop, 1 is my mum's computer. Besides this, there is 1 router which BT kindly gave us. It's a nice looking, shiny little black thing and sits comfortably and quietly in the corner :)

You need to set up the router via a cable from the control computer. Once that is set up and the "network" named etc., you can either leave it connected by wire or make it a radio connection, along with your laptop.

You may find this helpful.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/rev...voyager2100.htm

l am fairly sure that if you go and rummage about on BT's various sites you will find a downloadable "manual" for your particular router.

I'm confused now. :)

There are 2 computers in the house. 1 is my laptop, 1 is my mum's computer. Besides this, there is 1 router which BT kindly gave us. It's a nice looking, shiny little black thing and sits comfortably and quietly in the corner :)

So it wasn't you that shares a house with students, sorry about that :D

Rather than looking on the internet for the manuals I decided to bug around the house for the proper manuals and found them, they also said to do the IP in browser address bar but I couldn't find the proper number for it so I dug around a bit more since the hub is fairly new, everything should be slightly find-able, and decided to try use the set up disc which this managed to establish a stable connection.

So thanks for your help, all done now. God bless WF :flowers: :lol:

Still got no idea what happened though. Suppose it's just becuase I'm curious, does anyone have any idea what went wrong with it?

Oh, and Boris. Turns out the IP's you suggested for me to use to get the router settings in my browser aren't always the right ones.

Usually, you should use the default gateway address, apparently. This didn't work for me but using the default gateway does.