Am I Vulnerable?

doug

Just got 2 e-mails in that I'm concerned about. They are from different addresses and with different titles. One is Thank You! the other says Re; That movie. In the preview pane both say "see attached file for details". That made me suspicious. Haven't opened the files. Should I trash them or what? Suggestions please. :blink:

post-15-1062147268_thumb.gif

Doug, download and install Mailwasher from http://www.mailwasher.net/ , it's free, and you can see the e-mails on your server and delete, and blacklist them and even see the content without them being on your computer. Once you have rejected them they disappear for ever.

Looks like you are getting an answer from Redhat Doug. It really is a good program. The first time you get an e'mail from someone who you are happy with, highlight the particular mail and click onto E MAIL and add to friends list. Blacklisted addresses will always show as already blacklisted. Any problems just shout.

Guest Nellie2

Hope you configured it ok Doug

If not... just go to Outlook express. Tools, Accounts... highlight your main email address then click properties. Click on the servers tab and that will give you your outgoing and incoming email Pop3 doo dahs.

What I am worried about is why didn't your AV catch these emails on the way in!!? :huh:

Hi Nel. I'm just doing that terrible thing of printing out the manual and the READ it. I'm running AVG which didn't report anything and have also run a full scan. I have deleted both of those 2 e-mails. May not have been problems, didn't even open them didn't recognise the senders (both different and came in together). Noted in the preview pane that they both had attached documents with the identical message to click on them to open. That concerned me, hence the first message. Excuse me while I do some reading. Back later. :rolleyes:

post-15-1062190402_thumb.gif

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
The first time you get an e'mail from someone who you are happy with, highlight the particular mail and click onto E MAIL and add to friends list.  Blacklisted addresses will always show as already blacklisted.  Any problems just shout.

I don't want to tread on any toes here but doesn't SoBig latch onto peoples address books and send itself to people in that address book??

If so,you might receive a file,supposedly from A FRIEND...or a friend of a friend....who is infected.

In which case your friend has sent you a virus without even knowing :blink:

This has happened to me in the past,I got an email with an attachment from a friend of a friend...luckily I knew for a fact that the person who sent me the infected email DIDN'T know my e-mail address,even though I knew the person.

I killed it dead and informed our mutual friend that the people in her address book were all infecting each other without her even knowing it.

Cheers.

Shirl.

Trust...No-one ;) :ph34r:

Pity there isn't an internet version of a condom really

There is Nellie, but unfortunately it's a bit too expensive for home use. The next best thing is good up to date AV and a decent properly configured firewall.

Mr. M.

PS A decent home router helps as well.

Couldn't agree more.

The first time you get an e'mail from someone who you are happy with, highlight the particular mail and click onto E MAIL and add to friends list.  Blacklisted addresses will always show as already blacklisted.  Any problems just shout.

I don't want to tread on any toes here but doesn't SoBig latch onto peoples address books and send itself to people in that address book??

If so,you might receive a file,supposedly from A FRIEND...or a friend of a friend....who is infected.

In which case your friend has sent you a virus without even knowing :blink:

This has happened to me in the past,I got an email with an attachment from a friend of a friend...luckily I knew for a fact that the person who sent me the infected email DIDN'T know my e-mail address,even though I knew the person.

I killed it dead and informed our mutual friend that the people in her address book were all infecting each other without her even knowing it.

Cheers.

Shirl.

Trust...No-one ;) :ph34r:

I see your point Shirl. I am now going paranoid

Thinking further about your point Shirl. The beauty of Mailwasher is that you can actually read the e-mail text whist it is still on the server, thereby avoiding any potential virus. You can then delete any suspicious ones that don't make sense and possibly have attachments, without actually blacklisting the sender. Always assuming of course that you don't get dozens of e-mails per day from close friends. You can then e-mail your friend and ask about the possibility that their computer could be infected.