Windows Security Essentials (WSE)

AlanHo

The Microsoft download site no longer mentions Beta - so it appears that you can now download the final version.

From Here

Microsoft claim....

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

I have now replaced AVG Free with WSE and it appears to be fine. It has a very basic interface making it easy to use for inexperienced users.

On the face of it it looks fine. I wonder if it is really as good as a program like Nod 32. I wonder also what they consider to be the future of Windows defender. :D

MSE's installer disables Windows Defender completely, which makes sense as it is a sort of superset to Windows Defender. It builds upon Windows Defender by offering both real-time protection and on-demand scanning for all types of malware.

Although you won't be asked for personal information or to register for anything, you'll need to pass the Windows Genuine Advantage validation to install MSE

One thing I have noticed is a slight reduction in boot-up time on my Windows 7 computer - presumably it must load faster than AVG. The second benefit is that when I run a full scan with WSE I can continue to use the computer without any sluggishness - whereas AVG would definitelly slow down the computer irrespective whether I set the AVG scan settings to fast or slow.

Boris mentions in a separate thread that downloading updates takes a long time - I have not experienced this - but I do have 20 GB broadband. The latest update took less than 1 minute to download and install on both our computers.

Very interesting. I must say though that a scan with Nod 32 does not appear to slow things down. :D

By the way Alan, does Virgin have a problem in your neck of the woods this morning. I cannot get e mail or access their website. A call to 150 says that they have problems in many areas and are working to solve them. :D

Very interesting. I must say though that a scan with Nod 32 does not appear to slow things down. :D

By the way Alan, does Virgin have a problem in your neck of the woods this morning. I cannot get e mail or access their website. A call to 150 says that they have problems in many areas and are working to solve them. :D

No problems in Solihull this morning......................Yet........... :rolleyes:

Their service status website shows that they are having problems in the Midlands....Click here and choose midlands in drop down box

PS : I just tried webmail - and cannot access it. However some messages just downloaded in Outlook.

does Virgin have a problem in your neck of the woods this morning.

Virgin Media? They are always having problems! :censored:

It would be interesting to learn what part of the country you live in and whether you are on Virgin cable or ADSL connection. I am sorry to read that you are having such problems.

andsome and I both live in the Midlands - albeit 20 miles apart - I have enjoyed excellent service on my 20 GB cable connection and believe andsome has reported similar excellent service.

A friend about 3 miles from me has Virgin ADSL because his road lacks cable and he also is happy with Virgin - only two short breaks in Email service in 3 years.

Back to the subject of the thread.

It always concerns me that when I see the word "free" with an associated asterisk it makes me suspect that sometime in the future that little * will refer to something other than your copy of Windows being genuine - such as "This software will soon cost you $$$" just after you have removed all your other protection software (not Norton, of course. You're never rid of that.)

I'm with Virgin Mobile and I'm always having problems with them.

So what has that got to do with their Email and web services.........?...it's about as relevant as saying that Virgin airlines in-flight food is rubbish.

Because from what it seems, all that entire Virgin line of companies have is problems these days in comparison to a few years back when I never heard problems from them, including their digital TV and telephone services.

And as for this Windows Security Essentials:

Was there not a huge amount of problems relating to their previous security software attempt? I have forgot the name of it now but I'm pretty sure it acted like a startup inspector and done some other stuff.

If I am remembering rightly, what's to say this is any better?

Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are two attempts at MS security software.

Why don't they leave things alone and concentrate on a super good operating system and leave all the peripheral programs to people more expert than themselves. Of course they would say that there is nobody more expert than them in Windows but it is often shown to be otherwise.

I'm with Virgin Mobile and I'm always having problems with them.

So what has that got to do with their Email and web services.........?...it's about as relevant as saying that Virgin airlines in-flight food is rubbish.

Because from what it seems, all that entire Virgin line of companies have is problems these days in comparison to a few years back when I never heard problems from them, including their digital TV and telephone services.

And as for this Windows Security Essentials:

Was there not a huge amount of problems relating to their previous security software attempt? I have forgot the name of it now but I'm pretty sure it acted like a startup inspector and done some other stuff.

If I am remembering rightly, what's to say this is any better?

If you look up reviews of the new software on the web - you will find that it has received very positive reports. I have used the beta version for a couple of months and have now installed the release version because I am happy it is working fine.