Internet Speed UK vs Rest of the World

-pops-

• Japan - top advertised speed 1Gbps

Two months ago NTT persuaded me to upgrade my 24Mbps connnection to 200Mbps (with a substantial rate reduction). At the time I thought that was the highest available speed for private households. It seems that I am already on an old connection - the standard now is 1Gbps:

P.S. I was quite happy with 24Mbps; I thought - what's the use of higher speed? However, downlading things now - Windows updates, a service pack, a movie - the download status bar just moves quickly from left to right, and downloads usually complete within seconds! It's a pure joy internetting this way :flowers:

P.P.S. since I am moving to a new mansion next month, I will give the 1Gbps connection a try...

I could opt for 20Mbps with Virgin, but am happy with 10, it does what I need, and at least it is reliable, never lower than 9.5 Mbps. Obviously, if a higher speed was available at no extra cost, I would take it. This new labour tax is just typical. Why should people who choose to live in the sticks in very secluded areas expect to be subsidised by others? Of course BB should be supplied by fibre optic as soon as possible to everyone, but NOT by subsidies which would almost certainly just end up in the general pot. :D

A few months ago I had a chat with Virgin sales about my broadband - the end result was they upgraded me to 20 mbps from 10 Mbps for no extra charge.

I regularly check the speed and find that it is always above 19 Mbps - but for day to day use of the computer I am not actaullay aware that it is faster. Downloads are quicker - but I don't notice this because they are normally in the background.

Unless you do online gaming, view streaming videos a lot or are a download freak - it is not worth paying extra for 20 Mbps broadband