One PC not holding connection

artist

Must be something simple?

Main PC - W7. Installed new Belkin G wireless Modem Router - no problems.

Laptop - XP. Installed Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card - all working fine - even found another couple of networks as well..

Old PC - XP. Installed G Wireless Network Adapter - all good to start with. Then...

I encrypted the modem.

The laptop is just the same - absolutely fine.

The older PC wouldn't find the network until I clicked on it and inserted the password. Even then it wouldn't hold the connection. That was yesterday.

Today there is no network showing for it to find - the option to insert it manually is greyed out.

Having trawled for info - I uninstalled the Sygate firewall. It has occurred to me that it could be a faulty adapter, except that it DID work before I encrypted the modem.

I have uninstalled it altogether for now...

Any ideas as to what to try next?

If you installed the manufacturer's wireless USB connection software on the old PC - uninstall it (not the actual driver) and use the Wireless Zero Configuration already built into Windows XP. See :-

/>http://tech.ifelix.net/2007.html

Right - I'll do that. Just one thing - do I put the hub in after I've done this and then install it? Or is it just a case of plugging the thing in?

Just a last thought - why was it all ok before I encrypted the modem - It couldn't just be to do with that could it? ( I'm looking for an easy out... :P )

Artist, you need the encryption so that no one else can use your connection, so do not take it of.

I have a Belkin N wireless router and had a problem connecting it to my Linux netbook.

I solved it by deleting the wireless connection and setting it up again, could be worth a try.

I am not sure, but I think this sounds a bit like the problem which I created for myself with my new Win7 PC....

Networking is an absolute blinder for me - I just get brain block!!

I'll explain briefly, even though there may not be any similarity.

Having plugged everything up and in to the new pc, router and two laptops, all could access the internet! I thought, this is brilliant, but just too easy. :unsure:

For some reason, I decided that I needed to install the router software onto the new pc and connect to the Zoom Router website. Wrong!!! It screwed everything up. I tried everything I could think of and anything I couldn't! None of the pc's could now connect to the internet. :0

Eventually, I called someone who was advertising in the local paper. He ended up doing a factory reset, logging onto the website to set up and entering the encryption bit again.

Apparently there was no need for the software to be installed on the new pc and no requirement to log on to the website. I still don't understand it, but it works again now. :rolleyes:

I am not sure, but I think this sounds a bit like the problem which I created for myself with my new Win7 PC....

Networking is an absolute blinder for me - I just get brain block!!

I'll explain briefly, even though there may not be any similarity.

Having plugged everything up and in to the new pc, router and two laptops, all could access the internet! I thought, this is brilliant, but just too easy. :unsure:

For some reason, I decided that I needed to install the router software onto the new pc and connect to the Zoom Router website. Wrong!!! It screwed everything up. I tried everything I could think of and anything I couldn't! None of the pc's could now connect to the internet. :0

Eventually, I called someone who was advertising in the local paper. He ended up doing a factory reset, logging onto the website to set up and entering the encryption bit again.

Apparently there was no need for the software to be installed on the new pc and no requirement to log on to the website. I still don't understand it, but it works again now. :rolleyes:

I didn't install the router software in the problem PC - just the hub (drivers). It's looking like a 'call out job' for me too..........I have given myself one more day to try to solve it. I have mountains of paperwork copied from all over the place!