Picasa

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

I like the program with one exception. When I first installed it, it loaded a copy of every single photo on my computer. This meant that I had another copy of all the originals on my C drive, and yet another copy of all my backed up photos on my D drive, and also all photos from everywhere on the computer. I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it disallowing this feature. If I want to edit a photo I just import it, do what i want with it, save it and then remove it from Picassa. I agree with Pat that it is an excellent program otherwise.smile.gifsmile.gif

• 1 month later...

I like the program with one exception. When I first installed it, it loaded a copy of every single photo on my computer. This meant that I had another copy of all the originals on my C drive, and yet another copy of all my backed up photos on my D drive, and also all photos from everywhere on the computer. I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it disallowing this feature. If I want to edit a photo I just import it, do what i want with it, save it and then remove it from Picassa. I agree with Pat that it is an excellent program otherwise.smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks for that tip Ands.

Do you still use Picasa, or have you found another friendly freebie program you prefer.

I am just starting with a nice new camera and am looking out for what to use.

I've been using it before google took it over ...To resolve andsomes problem just link Picassa to your "My Pictures " folder , and it will just ignore everything outside this folder ... Its excellent for me as "my pictures" folder is now close to 250gb in size ....Also if you do this , you can use Picassa to import, and it will store them too ... Its worth doing as you can then add the tags when you import , and it will flag up copies if the photo has already been imported before (useful if you have a lot of datacards)

My main use is tagging and indexing , plus , the fairly recent facial recognition option has been a useful bonus ...

I usually edit in cannon digital professional or gimp if I need layering ,...

but picassa has been doing RAW for some time ,and its a nice and easy quick edit if I'm feeling lazy!

An excellent freebie

Thanks for that tip Ands.

Do you still use Picasa, or have you found another friendly freebie program you prefer.

I am just starting with a nice new camera and am looking out for what to use.

I may well be wrong, but here is what I concluded about the above.

I put Picasa on my machine a few years ago when I was on W95 and originally thought the same. But I concluded that what it did was to simply put a file in each directory and into that file put a link to each of the picture files in that directory. This meant that it then had a FAT of all the pictures on the computer.

I eventually wiped it as it seemed to want to take over totally and did not appear to offer anything better than what I was doing at the time.

If its been a long time since you used it cats , its well worth another look ....... googles done a good job with it

I will have a look. It certainly needed someone doing something to it when I had it previously. It seemed to want to take over.

I've been using it before google took it over ...To resolve andsomes problem just link Picassa to your "My Pictures " folder , and it will just ignore everything outside this folder ... Its excellent for me as "my pictures" folder is now close to 250gb in size ....Also if you do this , you can use Picassa to import, and it will store them too ... Its worth doing as you can then add the tags when you import , and it will flag up copies if the photo has already been imported before (useful if you have a lot of datacards)

My main use is tagging and indexing , plus , the fairly recent facial recognition option has been a useful bonus ...

I usually edit in cannon digital professional or gimp if I need layering ,...

but picassa has been doing RAW for some time ,and its a nice and easy quick edit if I'm feeling lazy!

An excellent freebie

Thanks, but as I said a reinstall solved things. I only use it for cropping etc, and then delete the photo's from Picasa, after saving the result elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Picasa 3.8 Build 117.43 - April 22, 2011

• Fixed importing from scanners.
  • Fixed Backup and Restore creating duplicate .ini files.

Download: http://picasa.google.com/

Release Notes http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=release_notes.cs&from=53209

Note: Picasa 3.8 is no longer supported on Windows 2000.