Motherboard sockets

I have been asked to build a budget desktop for a friend using an AMD procesor to keep costs down and am doing some browsing through component options

I note that some of the mid range motherboards sport IEEE 1284 25 pin parallel connectors.

Who still uses parallel ports today - and what for? Surely USB has made these redundant. (I recall having an Epson printer more than 10 years ago with a parallel connection)

Not every one wants to throw out all there old stuff all the time, some of us can't afford to and only change when the things don't work. It's good that some manufacturers still look after us poor

Not every one wants to throw out all there old stuff all the time, some of us can't afford to and only change when the things don't work. It's good that some manufacturers still look after us poor

5.gif5.gif

I understand that some heavy duty commercial printers still rely on parallel port connections. Certainly a parallel port is more robust and better able to tolerate a busy working environment.

• 11 years later...

A parallel port printers though work reliably but way more harder to find supported latest motherboards for. There are some extra hardware that comes along which can be used but unsure whether it'd be reliable or not. Also, I see a brief comparison here https://newdevzone.com/posts/how-do-modern-motherboards-differ-from-each-other

• 3 months later...