Bandwidth Thieves

bludgard

I have been frustrated for months over people jacking me for my bandwidth!

I am on a local area network and I know from talking to administrator that Quest Communications has allocated 14,000KBs to this account.

I have complained to him that at times-too often layely-I get 0-5KBs of this bandwidth. :censored: At first he blew me off,saying that too many people were on at the same time.Well,recently a lot more people have complained and now he seems to have run amok.If nobody has any bandwidth,where is it going?

He, talked to the IT guy and they have found that a couple of patrons are using file-sharing software like uTorrent and whatnot.Thats all well and good,but what about the rest of us?He says he's looking into it.... :unsure:

I have researched untold websites in an effort to reclaim my portion of the pie to no good end.I have tried modifying connections through NETSH commands.I have edited the registry to try to optimize speeds.I have tried optimizing IE.Noting works.(Of coarse I always use screenshots,screen captures,system restore points,and even disk images to make sure I can get back to my original state).

My question is:Does ANYBODY know what I can do to keep a sustained bandwidth?

I like to watch online reruns and the Wife Loves MI-5 with a passion.I would also like to play an online game occasionally,however none of this is possible.

At times I have seen my bandwidth go as high as 250KBs and I get all giddy. :vibrate: (Very seldom,though). :uhm:

Is there a way to "lock-in" a speed when I can manage to get a decent one?

ANYTHING else I can do?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bandwidth in your case is all about *Contention Ratio*

Here U.K. they have to divulge that information. We have 20:1 and 50:1 contention ratios.

(For other people reading that means either, 20 people to a line or 50 people to a line.)

It sounds to me as though your provider *Qwest* has probably got a high contention ratio.

With a lot of people on one line, from one source this keeps profitability for Qwest up, and costs down.

Good for Qwest, - bad for the consumer. They are probably not legally bound to divulge the contention ratio to you in the U.S.

They can start to "Cap" the high users, the file downloaders etc; but if those same people vote to pay a higher premium for that advantage and the contention ratio stays the same, - It is a win,win X3 for Qwest ! :(

Not a lot you can do about it unless a pack of you make a hell of a lot of noise about it, and perhaps embarrass Qwest into

Putting in new equipment and lowering the contention ratio.

There is only so much that you can do at the computer (consumer) end of the line. - Sounds as though you have done it though. There is no way to lock the bandwidth.

With water if you had 100 people on one pipe, and guy number 50 left his tap on all day, the pressure at the end of the line would be low. To counteract that you would have a storage tank and a high pressure pump to cater for your needs.

Data doesn't work in quite the same manner.

Some of the Browser people ( I think Opera being the main one - dont quote me) have found ways of bundling up and regurgitating data so that pages load faster etc. Gradually we will find ways of moving data even faster. - Neccessity the Mother of invention.

Just keep your eyes and ears open for any new developments and try to implement them, because I think it may be a while before you get any joy out of Qwest ! :(

More complaints from the U.S.A than any other Western countries about low speed, no connection, poor connection, power outages, etc; etc; etc.

But....... It's a big country with a lot of people.

John.

• Upvote 1

I'm so mad I could :censored: strangle somebody right now.

Obama would be a good start.............. :rolleyes:

I might be mistaken,but I think I remember something about HIM getting high-speed internet to all Americans.

Wonder if there's an update on that?

See if I can find a video... :lol:

I'll check it out.

EDIT:Yeah....Here it is.

I think I'm at maybe 5kbs?

Where's my money! :unsure:

It IS dated last year....When he was getting elected.

I'm so mad I could :censored: strangle somebody right now.

Obama would be a good start.............. :rolleyes:

I might be mistaken,but I think I remember something about HIM getting high-speed internet to all Americans.

Wonder if there's an update on that?

See if I can find a video... :lol:

I'll check it out.

EDIT:Yeah....Here it is.

I think I'm at maybe 5kbs?

Where's my money! :unsure:

It IS dated last year....When he was getting elected.

so he won't need to worry for the next two years ;)