Multimedia Controller

When I tried to activate my TV option on my 2005 HP Multimedia m7183c Computer, I get an error message that my tv tuner driver is missing. I tried the Control Panel icon "Add Hardware" and the Multimedia Controller icon had a explanation point over it. When I clicked on it I got the error message "The drivers for this are not installed (code 28). When I clicked on Finish and launched the trouble shooter it asked me to install a CD with the driver for the nVidea Dual TV NTSC. Unfortunately, my windows came preinstalled and there was no CD. When I continued, I got the error message: File xc2avsN.sys not found. I tried without luck to get a driver from nVidea, HP and Microsoft. When I googled "xc2avsN.sys", I get several vendors offering to scan and fix this problem for the nVidea Dual TV NTSC. However, other web sites claim that malware hides under the filename. What do you recommend that I do?

Hi,mgreen.

Do you have a TV-tuner for your machine?It is a necessary piece of hardware to receive TV signals.Otherwise you have the option to view via internet streaming.

Yes I do have a TV-tuner which was built in for the HP Media Center computer and it was working before I rebuilt the operating system. Windows says I have a NVIDEA DualTV NTSC TV tuner card.

it was working before I rebuilt the operating system

Go for what Boris has just suggested, hopefully you'll get the answers there. - If not ............

(001) - Did you just "rebuild" the operating system, or re-install a completely new operating system ?

(002) - If so, what is this current operating system ? - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or something different to Windows entirely ?

(003) - "Windows says I have a NVIDEA DualTV NTSC TV tuner card". - Is this correctly seated in the PCI slot? - If it is indeed in a PCI slot.

(004) - Can you tell us exactly where this tuner card is situated within the computer ?

(005) - Is this an analogue or a digital tuner card ?

(006) - Did you make a backup of your system drivers before the so called "Rebuild" ?

(007) - If you are using Windows, have you checked Microsoft Windows non-critical updates for NVIDIA products regarding drivers ?

(008) - Original specs for you computer show no tuner card fitted why would this be ?

(Hence the link that Boris gave you shows no tv tuner card drivers)

(009) - When the TV was working would you describe the TV tuner as an internal part of the computer or as an external peripheral (Box)

Try to answer as many questions as you can in a similarly numbered sequence to help our crack computer investigation team to help you. Thanks.

.=.=..=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

Bit of a coincidence is this. When AlanHo was here a while back, I mentioned that I had a very old Hauppauge analogue T.V. card (PCI) and that by going through the Windows Updates I had actually found drivers that enabled me to get it working on Windows 7. Which is pretty good going for Microsoft, because you could find bugger all drivers for anything if you had Vista. :blink:

I wanted to keep this card going because it had very good capture facilities (Analogue2Digital). Always handy to convert the occasional VHS tape. Although analogue T.V. has closed down both here and the U.S, a cheapy set top converter from ASDA (Wally World U.S) will soon have it displaying T.V once more on my computer.

I come from a "Make do and mend" generation and culture. Never throw anything out. Where theres muck, there's brass.

Hard buggers we were. Mother used to sit up and knit bike chains by candlelight. :)

John.

TINYTIM3.jpg

mgreen,did you find your driver?

I found and downloaded one for your tuner.It came from a site that ran you through your paces before you actually got to the drivers download page.The site has good reviews,so it may be worth a look.I checked the file for malware and virus infections and seems to be clean.

If you want to check it out:DriveGuide

Go for what Boris has just suggested, hopefully you'll get the answers there. - If not ............

(001) - Did you just "rebuild" the operating system, or re-install a completely new operating system ?

(002) - If so, what is this current operating system ? - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or something different to Windows entirely ?

(003) - "Windows says I have a NVIDEA DualTV NTSC TV tuner card". - Is this correctly seated in the PCI slot? - If it is indeed in a PCI slot.

(004) - Can you tell us exactly where this tuner card is situated within the computer ?

(006) - Did you make a backup of your system drivers before the so called "Rebuild" ?

(007) - If you are using Windows, have you checked Microsoft Windows non-critical updates for NVIDIA products regarding drivers ?

(008) - Original specs for you computer show no tuner card fitted why would this be ?

(009) - When the TV was working would you describe the TV tuner as an internal part of the computer or as an external peripheral (Box)

Try to answer as many questions as you can in a similarly numbered sequence to help our crack computer investigation team to help you. Thanks.

Bit of a coincidence is this. When AlanHo was here a while back, I mentioned that I had a very old Hauppauge analogue T.V. card (PCI) and that by going through the Windows Updates I had actually found drivers that enabled me to get it working on Windows 7. Which is pretty good going for Microsoft, because you could find bugger all drivers for anything if you had Vista. :blink:

I wanted to keep this card going because it had very good capture facilities (Analogue2Digital). Always handy to convert the occasional VHS tape. Although analogue T.V. has closed down both here and the U.S, a cheapy set top converter from ASDA (Wally World U.S) will soon have it displaying T.V once more on my computer.

I come from a "Make do and mend" generation and culture. Never throw anything out. Where theres muck, there's brass.

Hard buggers we were. Mother used to sit up and knit bike chains by candlelight. :)

John.

TINYTIM3.jpg

I will take my computer apart today and search for this card. If it is not there it could be a chip on the motherboard.

mgreen: I rebuilt the operation system from the installation software stored on Disk D.

mgreen: Windows XP

mgreen: I removed and reseated the PCI nVidia tuner card. I believe it is PCI. I have attached a picture of the card. I also have a link to the picture below:

/>http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YQv07XYIvnQMvpKDUf61ciIprBKvu-5qEFiL4LFGbSo?feat=directlink

mgreen: It is located in the second to the bottom PCI slot in the back of the computer. The TV antenna input is out of the back of the computer.

mgreen: Analog.

mgreen: I thought that the drivers were stored with the operating system installation on disk D. I found driver backup through a batch file created by PC World. I will try this after I find this driver.

mgreen: I unsuccessfully searched the Windows web site. I will try to do this search again. Let me know if you have a link.

mgreen: I don't understand that since the card and software were installed as a part of Windows XP Media Center 2005. I will look for Boris' link. I would like to download the User Manual for this computer.

mgreen: It came with the computer as an internal part with the preinstalled driver.

mgreen: One more piece of information. I was able to download the installation package from nVidia but it requires a product code and activation key which I don't have.

John.

TINYTIM3.jpg

MR GREEN: I will take my computer apart today and search for this card. If it is not there it could be a chip on the motherboard.

BLUDGARD: Moving on.... :beach:

Dont pull the thing apart Mr. Green !

Just answer questions 001 through 009. If it was on the Motherboard, the driver would have been on the link that Boris gave to you. A T.V tuner was not supplied with the HP Multimedia m7183c Computer you quote.

How exactly do you want to use this analogue device ?

Windows says I have a NVIDEA DualTV NTSC TV tuner card.

Where precisely did you find this information within Windows ?

Sorry to be pedantic but that actually increases the questions to 001- 011.

If you can start to answer all of the questions, we can of course try to help you, and identify you as a genuine poster.

If you cant. Dont worry too much, as the subject of T.V. reception on computers will probably have been read by others on the forum and started them on a learning curve related to the subject.

Nothing is ever wasted. :)

John.

• Upvote 1

**Everest**

**Belarc**

Or - **S.I.W**

Will usually identify pretty quickly what you have installed on your computer. Download and install one (or all) and see if you can identify a T.V tuner. This is gonna save you physically pulling the computer to pieces.

All that I can find from the information you have given is an external unit.

Quite possibly a group or store have re-hashed a computer and included T.V as a promotion.

Where did you buy it ? ( Sorry that's pushed it up from 001-012)

I have seen some computers with normal model numbers from ASDA/Wally World with sub-standard Mobos and strange things added as a sales leader. Drivers have been hard to find. ( I am talking EMachines here, and not HP though.)

Cant find any PCI cards Nvidia that tie up with what you describe.

You are just gonna have to dig deeper and give us more information.

John.

Does this look at all familiar?

Attatchment didnt't upload.I'll try again....

"Try to answer as many questions as you can in a similarly numbered sequence to help our crack computer investigation team to help you. Thanks" :ph34r::rofl:

Could you give me the link to the website of your attachment. All I found on the nVidia web site is the following link which give the required software but requires a product code and activation key that I don't have.

/>http://www.nvidia.com/object/tvtuner_drivers.html

I have found some further answers on this:

/>http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/Windows_Media_Center_Forum_Vista_and_XP_/f/22/p/1670/7217.aspx

Following the story right the way through, it seems that the only guy with the answer has cut his solution short. :angry:

See here: http://www.roderick.triple-it.nl/blog/index.php?s=nvidia

It may be worthwhile trying to contact the guy on his blog, or a few others on that forum.

Unfortunately I dont think we are going to be able to do very much more for you Mr. Green.

We have now done a lot of the footwork though.

Make your contacts and come back and tell us how you got on.

John.

When I tried to activate my TV option on my 2005 HP Multimedia m7183c Computer, I get an error message that my tv tuner driver is missing.

Get it all straightened out there,mgreen?

Just curious.... :D

I resolved this problem. I checked in the C drive and found the nVidia drivers in C:\NVIDIA\DualTVMCR_134\drivers as suggested in one of your posts. Apparently when I tried to install the driver for this card, Windows searched and was downloading components but could not find xc2avsN.sys. It asked me where it was and I did a search for this file name but search could not find it. Since xc2avsN.sys was in this directory I repeated the installation and gave this path name. Windows found it and installed the driver. Since Windows apparently new about this directory (it installed other components), it is curious why it could not find this file name on its own.

The Media Center now knows about this driver and started setting up the TV. Unfortunately, the Media Center hangs when it tried to install the TV Guide for my ISP. I tried this several times and it hangs at the same spot. I then tried watching TV and it worked but hung when I tried to change channels. Actually it hung before I installed this driver but in different areas. I thought installing this driver would resolve this problem but it did not. This is a whole different post. I did a Google search on this problem and found many people that had a similar but so far not identical problem. The consensus of answers is that one of the updates to Windows, a hotfix or rollback on Media Center 2005, could be causing this new problem. One user tried re-installing Windows and adding the hotfixes and rollbacks one at a time. I will look further at other posts and see if I can find a direct solution.

Which will perhaps bring you to a stage where you can contact the user of the blog which I gave here:
/>http://www.roderick.triple-it.nl/blog/index.php?s=nvidia

And see how he resolved the problem ?

Dont bother to say thank you for the effort and searches we put in on your behalf. - Few seldom do. We get used to bad manners.

John .