Defrag Percentages

bludgard

As I analyze my HD for fragmentation,what exactly is the percentage referring to?

Say if analysis shows 7%,is that 7% of total disk space(250G),or used(55G)?

By my reasoning 7% of 100 is a lot more than 7% of 20.

Just curious,again. :unsure:

'Preciate any feedback.

EDIT:Am I confused? :vibrate:

EDIT: Am I confused?

Yep ! :P We are all confused. That is why we are trapped in this place grasshopper.

As fragmentation refers to file fragmentation, and used disk space is 55Gb it can only be assumed that the other 195GB of the 250GB drive contains no files.

If 195GB contains no files, there can be (should be) no fragmented files within that area. Therefore I draw the conclusion that 7% refers to the 55GB which does have files on it.

When I was in charge of *Chernobyl"

They were always accepting of my analytical mind. I see no reason why you shouldn't be. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John.

Yeah ? No kidding andsome. Well that bit of information is going to improve peoples learning curve without a doubt. - Not ! B)

Perhaps that's why you didn't get the job at Chernobyl, and I did then. :)

"Who really cares?" - bludgard really cares. Otherwise he wouldn't have posted the question would he ? :Blond-Moment:

Diskeeper has just been recalled. There is an issue with the accelerator pedal sticking on Autobahns and things running way out of control. Stick with what you know bludgard. :P

TINYTIM3.jpg

Who really cares? I just let Diskeeper take automatic care of defragmenting, and don't worry about such matters.:lol:

It's all about bein' a world class fiddler.

This topic thread got me started on my path to illumination:http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=45854&st=0&p=313369&fromsearch=1entry313369

PS:I'm workin' on some figgurin',I'll be back on this.... ;)

The fragmentation of a HD or partition doesn't really mean anything. It is really just the files that count.

If you have a near-empty partition with two files on it, one of which is fragmented, then your defrag tool will tell you that you have 50% fragmentation.

Actually, to take this one step further, I have one partition that only has one file on it: Outlook's PST file. Because there is "something" in the middle of that partition, that PST file is permanently fragmented. This partition therefore has a 100% fragmentation.

• Upvote 1

So then a partition is in effect a virtual HD.... :unsure:

Thanks for all the info-and patience.

Got some research to do.I thought I was finished with that long ago.Is there no end to it all?

I hate to put this guy/gal on here again,but it IS how I feel right about now.And s/he is quite entertainig.

:vibrate:

So then a partition is in effect a virtual HD.... :unsure:

Well, not exactly because....... Well on the other hand I 'spose ??.......Oh jus' click here will ya? **What is virtual hard disk?**

Say ! Why dont go talk to that garbage guy in the other thread. You can both confuse each other on matters of virtuality and latency. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheesh, If we carry on like this there is a danger of the forum being technically useful. :)

Now on the other hand, and in respect of family viewing and Pat's love of classical music.

Click on the player below. Tune in. Drop out. Just chill.

/>http://maneman.fileave.com/Tiny%20Tim-Tip-Toe%20Thru%20The%20Tulips%20With%20Me.mp3

Death was always latent within Tiny Tim.

It happened. And now all that you can hear is something virtual.

TINYTIM3.jpg

/>http://maneman.fileave.com/Tiny%20Tim-Tip-Toe%20Thru%20The%20Tulips%20With%20Me.mp3

Death was always latent within Tiny Tim.

It happened. And now all that you can hear is something virtual.

TINYTIM3.jpg

My sort of singer.

It is just a pity he did not turn his attention to Mahler. Now that would have been something.

Glad to see you back,MANENAN.

I've been strugglin',man.Tryin' to get OP's to update their threads so we can know if all of our "Crack Computer Investigation Team" efforts have borne any fruit.

" Why dont go talk to that garbage guy in the other thread. You can both confuse each other on matters of virtuality and latency." :mega_shok:

Thanks for the link.I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sammich! :drinks:

By the way,is that Ozzy Ozborne in tour player? :blink:

It is just a pity he did not turn his attention to Mahler. Now that would have been something.

I am in contact with a Spritualist Medium even as we speak. Will see what can be done.

And that I think is just about all the technical detail upon the subject of virtualization, latency, and file fragmentation that can be reasonably expected on a sunny August afternoon. :)

John.

The fragmentation of a HD or partition doesn't really mean anything. It is really just the files that count.

If you have a near-empty partition with two files on it, one of which is fragmented, then your defrag tool will tell you that you have 50% fragmentation.

Actually, to take this one step further, I have one partition that only has one file on it: Outlook's PST file. Because there is "something" in the middle of that partition, that PST file is permanently fragmented. This partition therefore has a 100% fragmentation.

Thanks,ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb.

This did help me wrap my mind around all this.

I never was too terribly fond of numbers.The absolute thing I suppose.