Tablet Computing In The news

MANEMAN

Love 'em or hate them the Tablet PC's are here to stay, and we have a brand new operating system to challenge the iPad.

Android Honeycomb. - How much longer before the Google Android System and Tablet PC's oust Microsoft from the high street stores I wonder.

Have a look at the reviews and come back with some comments.

The more reads, - the more posts, - the better the forum growth.

We will wait forever for the promised posts of "Ed Banger" to keep things rolling. :rolleyes:

ANDROID ONE

ANDROID TWO

ANDROID THREE

John.

I must be too old and set in my ways. I just fail to see why people get so excited with iPhones, iPads and the like. I am happy with my conventional sit up and beg desktop computer and a laptop used only when travelling.

My son is an airline captain and frequently dines with the cabin crew down route who tend to be young. He tells me that a high proportion of the youngsters are quite unable to do basic arithmetic and things like use a knife and fork - or understand basic table manners - having been brought up in fast food. However they are all magic with their fancy gadgets and smart phones.

A few weeks ago the aircraft crew of 7 had dinner together and decided to share the bill equally. My son watched in amusement as they tried to divide the total by seven until one of them whipped out her iPhone and loaded up an "App" that enabled her to input the total bill and number of diners to give her the amount per person. A couple of the others were so impressed that they are going to buy the "App" themselves. It has obviously escaped their notice that the "App" is a simple division calculator you can do manually. I know this seems a bit off-topic, but I mention it to make the point that we seem to have reached a stage where computer manufacturers are inventing "life's complications" to justify the complexity of their gadgets. The more they do this - the dumber do people get.

2011 will see a number of iPad clones launch - all vying for business in a market where common sense has evaporated and people have quite lost their ability to do basic things like simple arithmetic, reading a map or making a normal phone call.

I accept that the tablets are clever - but question whether they advance society in any way or are really needed.

Rant over - sorry to pee on your chips John............ :rolleyes:

I agree with Alan. Many people are like a bunch of school kids with new toys. I use my phone for text messages and phone calls. I don't need it to make tea as well, I can easily boil a kettle. I use thew computer for INTERNET access, and cannot see the point in walking along the street looking at a screen. There was a post on here or perhaps another forum recently showing what happened to a girl who was watching her screen instead of where she was going.B)

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies.

AlanHo Said: - sorry to pee on your chips John

:lol: :lol: Dont worry you haven't Alan.

Actually I am not very fond of these touchscreen tablet PC's myself, but for slightly different reasons perhaps.

I like fiddlin' with things.

I come from that make-do-and mend generation that I know I share with so many on this forum.

If it goes wrong I like to be able to fix it myself if I can.

If anyone saw the post recently where I replaced the glow plug relay on my vehicle with a saving of £80.00 you'll understand what I mean.

I dont really want to lay out on cold concrete fixing cars anymore, or be bent over an engine bay suffering backache for days. If a vehicle does go wrong though I would like to be given the opportunity to try to fix it.

Most times that is not possible, it requires Hardware/Software diagnostic tools which has been cleverly tied in to manufacturers outlets and franchises with the sole purpose of extracting money from the vehicle owner.

So............. There is one of my enjoyable little hobbies thwarted, - along with electronics. - Why bother to build an audio amplifier anymore ? You can buy an 8 watt output amplifier in encased moulded chip form for about £3.99. You wont learn anything, but with about 8 wire connections you will have an audio amp.

The emphasis is all directed towards not learning things anymore isn't it ? - Just like not being able to divide by 7 in a restaurant like Alan's story pointed out.

I think we can see from some of the posts on the forum here that as a society we have created "peoples" Who merely wish to ask someone else to fix a problem and be spoon fed, or throw money at the problem and hope that it goes away. The last thing on their minds is anything to do with learning, self improvement, or a sense of achievement.

I see The Touch Tablet PC's as just a step further down that road of "Cant think, Wont think" unfortunately.

The Android system is clever. It has knocked Symbian off of it's perch. I just wonder how long before Google start to take top spot over Microsoft ? Will any of it do us any good ? - Doubtful.

Andsome. - You've got one over on me !

I still cant send a text on this mobile phone of mine. The missus bought me a new one last Christmas, and I think I've used it about eight times. If I'm out-and-about and it rings, the first thing I've got to do is find my glasses. By the time I've done that the person calling has rung off. I get the glasses on, try like hell to find the last caller in the menu, misdial several times 'cos they've made the buttons too bloody small for my pudgy fingers, when I finally do get through to the caller, the signal drops out and I get cut off. I yearn for the days of yore when two Cocoa tins and a piece of string is all I had.

(The eagle eyed amongst you will have seen that I have lerned real good now how to spell "Achieve" - I before E except after C my ass !!!)

Alan. This isn't just another rant.

My rants these days are, - "Staged" - "Rehearsed", - and "Delivered" for maximum effect in any given situation where there may be a likelihood of readerhip. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else want to comment on Tablet PC's ????????????

C'mon keep the ball rolling, and the forum alive Guys.

John. :)

I still cant send a text on this mobile phone of mine. The missus bought me a new one last Christmas, and I think I've used it about eight times. If I'm out-and-about and it rings, the first thing I've got to do is find my glasses. By the time I've done that the person calling has rung off. I get the glasses on, try like hell to find the last caller in the menu, misdial several times 'cos they've made the buttons too bloody small for my pudgy fingers, when I finally do get through to the caller, the signal drops out and I get cut off. I yearn for the days of yore when two Cocoa tins and a piece of string is all I had.

What you need is one of these geriatric models (and take a look at your Emails!!!)

Click here if you can read it

Like it or not,we are plagued by change.

I would venture to guess that in the future,if one did not employ the use of these toys one would be considered a rogue.Someone to be distrusted or despised.

I really can not offer a whole lot as far as mobile devices are concerned.I myself do not have a cellular device.Haven't for years.For many reasons.:ph34r:

The wife has a Moto k1m..Just for calls.She doesn't do the texting/mailing/socializing thing.

I will say that I do enjoy the perpetual struggle of new/same.Quite amusing.

One

What you need is one of these geriatric models (and take a look at your Emails!!!)

Click here if you can read it

I have recently had a Doro Easy 410gsmfrom Orange. They give it away free and charge £10 per month for the package that i am on which is more calls and texts than I need. It took me about fifteen minutes to set everything up to suit my own requirements. Dead easy to operate.

Free from Orange, but over £100 to buy elswhere.

I have recently had a Doro Easy 410gsmfrom Orange. They give it away free and charge £10 per month for the package that i am on which is more calls and texts than I need. It took me about fifteen minutes to set everything up to suit my own requirements. Dead easy to operate.

Free from Orange, but over £100 to buy elswhere.

It has been heartening to watch your gradual slide into old age over the past 8 years on the forum. You have become increasingly irascible, boastful and cantankerous - but with a touch of humanity and well suppressed humbleness. You play an old man's sport, preach old fashioned standards, resist change, spurn modern technology, have no patience with modern youf and have now got yourself a geriatric phone. Swap your Honda for a Reliant Robin, buy some cozy comfy shoes and slippers, wear a flat cap, mittens and woolly scarf, get some jumbo pampers in stock and all will be complete.

Aint old age wonderful - it's nice to see you in our club....................... :lol: :lol: :lol: