"Nigerian" emails

-pops-

I have recently started receiving "Nigerian" emails again after a lapse of well over two years. I thought they had died a natural death but, no. Here they are again as strong as ever.

For anyone who is not aware of these scams, the so-called Nigerian messages don't necessarily originate from Nigeria now - they could be from anywhere but they all have one thing in common - offering untold riches in return for the receipt of a small "processing charge" and, usually but not always on the first email, your banking details.

The story attached to these emails is so incredulous that if is difficult, for me anyway, to understand how easily people are taken in by them but, I suppose in many people that there is nothing for which greed is less than sensibility.

I know personally someone who was taken in by this scam way back in the days before email were invented and the scam was done over Telex (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telex if you are not familiar with telex). This person should really have known better as he was a company Financial Director - shows how greed and gullibility go together.

More details of the scam can be found here - note that it goes on and on, perhaps indicating its widespread nature.

Useful reminder pops. Like you I have been free of such scam messages for a very long time. Nowadys it is the bogus banking messages that seem more prevalent.

Another scam I see fairly often are messages that relate to the accident I have recently had with an offer to provide legal support etc. and a link to contact them. I have not had an accident and checked out one of them from my netbook (which is quick and easy to Acronis restore). It took me to a very official looking legal site and the button for "help" there connected me to a download for Team Viewer. I recognise Team Viewer as a remote control program which enanbles you to give permission to a third party to take control of your computer.

Team Viewer is also used by telephone scammers who pretend to be from "Microsoft Security Services" who have detected a serious virus infection on your computer and offer to clear it.

The scams are endless....... :censored:

• 2 weeks later...

receiving fake email has become a common thing but I wonder where they got these ids and how they can hoodwink people when it appears spam at the very first shot.

It takes only one idiot to fall for the scam and they can be thousands in pocket.