Safe Emailing.

AlanHo

I am totally fed up with receiving Emails from people who are not using the "BCC" box, but are putting a whole bunch of recipients into their "TO" box - thus advertising every-one's address to all and sundry. I finally cracked yesterday and have sent out the following Email to everyone in my address book :-

Sorry if this message does not apply to you - but almost every day I receive Emails from people who have included my address in the “To” or “CC” box – thus advertising my Email address to everyone who has been sent the message - plus it provides me with the Email address of all the other recipients of the message.

I am sending this message to everyone listed in my address book - since my frail memory does not enable me to target just those who need a reminder. Hence, I hope you don’t mind me pointing this out - but it is not a good idea to send out Emails to a number of people using the “To” or “CC” address boxes. The result is that all the recipients can see each other's addresses listed in the header of the Email. Worse than that - if a recipient gets infected with certain malware it can harvest the address from such information stored on their computer and then attack others. You really should use the BCC address box (blind carbon copy) - the message will still go to everyone - but their addresses will not appear.

Similarly – it is also unwise to forward Emails that have been forwarded to you by friends who have left other peoples Email addresses in message. It is an easy matter to delete the addresses in any Email you are forwarding. Today I received an Email forwarded by a friend which contained the addresses of more than 100 people - because the message had been forwarded several times in succession without editing the content or using the "BCC" box.

/>http://www.wikihow.com/Use-BCC-in-an-Email

/>http://www.hamra.net/fun/bcc.htm

Hope you don't mind me mentioning it - but it will benefit you and all your friends - some of whom also fail to use the BCC box. Perhaps you need to copy my message and ask them to do the same - using the BCC box of course.

Unquote

• Upvote 2

Well said.

Responsible digital comuniction ettiquet is important in todays media. An inadvertant push of the "send" button could at the least tic someone off. An extreme scenario might be a corporate network infiltrated.

It is because of this irresponsible posting that I rarely check my email account(s).:blink:

Great subject matter, AlanHo. +1.:rtfm:

Edit a (1) typo....

I fully agree. I have one relative who has been forwarding e mails with block after block of addresses. She forwarded one lot with a link to free emoticons. I think I have trained her at last. I always make a point of deleting ALL addresses when forwarding. I also hate getting e mails from incredimail users.

I would not go so far as you bludgard, I always look at my e mails, but am careful what I click on, and delete them after looking at them and reply if necessary.B)