Personal Shield Pro

sharky

I managed to get the Personal Shield Pro virus on my computer, and despite following several removal guides, it is still there. I have tried several anti virus and anti malware programs in both normal and safe mode, but when I try to run any of them, I get a notification saying that the program has been moved to quarantine. Can anyone offer a solution?

I have tried that. I have even tried using RKill then Malwarebytes as suggested by bleepingcomputer.com, but I cannot open Malwarebytes or any other AV program because when I try to open it, I get a notification saying the AV program has been sent to quarantine.

On the rare occasions that I have been infected with malware, I've restored my system from the backup that I regularly take.

I'm assuming you don't have a backup.

I dont have a backup, although most of my files are on an external hard drive. I tried to use System Restore but all points before the virus infection are gone.

You could use Avira rescue disk.
/>http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

You need to download the iso version, burn the iso to a CD, then boot your computer from it, this bypasses the operating system and scans the hard drive for trojans, viruses etc and cleans all it finds.

This iso is Linux based, so be sure to look at the read me before using it.

Have you tried booting into "Safe Mode with networking" ?

Then downloading/installing/updating/running Malwarebytes Anti-malware ?

If Malwarebytes still won`t install, run or update - then look at the instructions here :-
/>http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/06/08/malwarebytes-wont-install-run-or-update-how-to-fix-it/

If Malwarebytes still won`t install, run or update - then look at the instructions here :-
/>http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/06/08/malwarebytes-wont-install-run-or-update-how-to-fix-it/

I have tried that, but I cannot connect to the internet. I followed the instructions in your link, thank you so much, and can run Malwarebytes now, however I cant update it, so it didnt pick up the virus. I tried updating it on the laptop then transferring it via USB stick but that didnt work :(

I have tried that, but I cannot connect to the internet. I followed the instructions in your link, thank you so much, and can run Malwarebytes now, however I cant update it, so it didnt pick up the virus.

Here is a link to the latest published version of the Malwarebytes standalone installer for its database update :-
/>http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

OK, Sharky.

It is my opinion that reinstalling Windows is the the most reliable way to remove any virus/malware. Next would be to recover your machine from a previously created image backup. If these options are not available, we then need to put our thinkng caps on and prepare to get our hands dirty.

A few questions:

1) What operating system are you running on the infected machine?

2) Can you access Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar and selecting "Task Manager"? If not, reboot and try to access Task Manager immediately after Desktop appears.

3) Would you recognize any outstanding process(es) that may appear suspect within Task Manager?

4) If not, are you able to take a screenshot of all running processes within Task Manager?

5) Were you able to run SUPERAntiSpyware at all? If so, what were the results?

If we can kill the dubious .EXE process, we may be able to remove it with MBAM or SASpyware. If this does not work, we will have to remove it manually. Manual removal is not that difficult, but may be a little tedious from a distance.

I admire your patience,sharky. I would have given up long before now, salvaged what files I can (I note you have a separate hard drive for data) and done a clean re-install - that is a reinstall on a freshly formatted drive NOT over the top of your infected setup.

When you are back in business, I very strongly recommend that you make a full system backup using dedicated image software AND (very important) keep it up to date. If you do this, you will not get that heart wrenching, stomach turning realising all is potentially lost but you will be able to get fully going again in about 30 minutes, or less.

-pops- “said”:

“… that heart wrenching, stomach turning realising all is potentially lost”.:unsure:

Man, that’s scary. This carries on into every day life experiences, no? I have had a few brushes with this type of trauma.

Back to the topic at hand: There are many ways to deal with this Babylon. Websites and blogs abound. Reimaging a HDD is the simplest, quickest, and possibly the most reliable method of system recovery; though I am sure this could be debated as well.

I was tired of programs (both paid and free) bogging down my machine. Thought I’d take the bull by the horns and apply the old Bender Bending Rodriguez approach and turn the tables. Ya gotta bite a chunk out of the a** of it and ride the rest home. Get on through.:lol:

If you wipe the drive before you format, then install Windows on the default Windows prepared partition (formatted - not “quick”), your problems would be solved; unless of course the install media is infected. If that be the case, well, you see where this is going.

Keep us updated, sharky. Times are a bit slow at my place and I need some excitement. :huh:

:hi: