show desktop as screensaver

Nacht

Hi guise,

new here to this particular forum. I've been digging on google for some time and haven't been able to come up with a way (within my own capabilities) to do what I want. I want to have a timeout for my open windows. Say I get up from the computer for a few hours, I want all my windows open to minimize as with the show desktop button. I am not very partial to the screensavers windows comes with and one you find on the internet tend to use alot of cpu time. I know I could just have it go black or just turn off my monitor but often times I leave my computer after having done something requiring that I have a lot of windows open. In some cases I may have sensitive items open that I wouldn't want others to see or games running.

If anyone has a clue as to how I could possibly approach this I would really appreciate the help. I'm not a programmer so that option is out unless you write it for me. If it is not currently possible then don't worry about it as I am well aware of other work arounds like just having the computer lock. I know that you can minimize with a keystroke so I was thinking that maybe some program might exist to hit keystrokes under certain circumstances like inactivity but I have no idea how to go about searching for such a thing...if there is.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I would click the Show Desktop button before I got up if there are privacy issues, Nacht. But you mean something that would require a password or such when you return to the desktop?

Edit: I am sure there have been written several programs to effect this kind of behaviour. :unsure:

no password, just something that would minimize all windows open, leaving a pretty desktop background as opposed to the mess of things I always have open. Its not really a big deal though. I was hoping that I would help some code monkey get his jollies on making something that doesnt seem to exist atm while getting a neat gadget to suit my personal wants.

• 1 year later...

Have you found a way to do this? I have a pretty nice desktop that I have set up with Rainmaker and a few other tweaks. I would love to have all windows minimize after 'X' minutes of non-use. A glance will tell me what I need to know, including active programs, torrents, time, weather, and a few other goodies. Any luck?

post-24032-0-30059900-1356486555_thumb.j

:welcomewf:

Adam Pash of "Lifehacker" made up a little tool a few years back that is still available.

The source code is still available if you want to mess with it any further also.

http://lifehacker.co...pt-away-windows

And people have posted scripts on the "autohotkey" board.

http://www.autohotke...active-windows/

John.