Rid yourself of desktop icons & shortcuts

MANEMAN

I have rid myself of all desktop icons long ago. Shortcuts involving mouse action are minimal and getting less so.

If you find yourself frequently using desktop icons and shortcuts, you may be interested in what I use, and my future plans to speed things up even more.

I use "ControlPad Application Launcher" ( Free ! - http://sector-seven....ware/controlpad )

To make things even faster in the future I hope to hitch up a midi foot board to a USB keyboard.

(Hopefully build it into one unit. - still a few things to think through though)

footkeyboard.jpg

"Control Pad" is very easy to use and setup (Even for Laptops) and once you have got used to not having to skip about all over the screen frequently looking for icons and shortcuts, you begin to realise that it is a lot faster than the mouse, and it does declutter the desktop.

First read of the webpage you could be forgiven for thinking that this only works with the numeric part of the keyboard. - This is not the case. I think if my memory serves me well, and without looking it up it is based on a Autohotkey script.

It will launch applications, url's, and just about anything that can be opened, it will open. Difficult to explain, but a quick download and install will soon grab your interest.

Type in "Prog" and it will immediately open program files. If you do not want to use "Prog" as an input you can choose any combination of words, letters, or numbers which suit you personally.

You can read more about "Control Pad" here:

http://www.makeuseof...rolpad-windows/

I requested a No 69 on my set up and it dispensed Prawns and Broccoli in an oyster sauce with fried rice

Hmmmmm................ Interesting.

That has been known to happen at times to people with low IQ, little understanding of computers, and a total lack of spatial awareness like yourself. Please return to "The Boy's" way of doing things with the little bitty pictures on the screen. (Icons)

We have every confidence that at some stage in the near future you will grasp the whole concept of computing and will not have to waste the time of people on the forum. A PM has been sent with addresses of various Aspergers Syndrome self help groups in your area.

Thanks for the 3D video by the way Alan. :) Amazing photography. ( See, I do actually read your mails. B) )

Luv to 'er indoors innit. lol

John.

P.S. I got a cheapy Epson Printer/All-in-One from Staples for £50.00 with this "new fangled" WiFi arrangement already on it. Too lazy to network my old printer. Works like magic. You started all that off !

I think WiFi may just catch on you know. :unsure:

I may have a little knowledge of computers - but at least I'm working on it.

Today I discovered what that little tray that slides out of the front or your computer tower is for.

MIne is marked CD-DVD. I had no idea it was a cup holder until a mate told me the abbreviations stood for

Cup Dispenser and Cup Vending Device.

I'm pleased to see that you have climbed into the 21st century by buying a WiFi enabled printer. Did you know that you can also plug it in to the computer if you are worried about all the radio waves bouncing around your study.

See - I'm not as dumb as you thought.

Today I discovered what that little tray that slides out of the front or your computer tower is for.

MIne is marked CD-DVD. I had no idea it was a cup holder until a mate told me the abbreviations stood for Cup Dispenser and Cup Vending Device.

No - not quite correct. It stands for Cup Dispenser/Drink Vending Device