External NTFS Harddrive freezes windows explorer.exe, but FAT32 drives

thanks for the help in advance.

I am having a very interesting issue with my work computer which is running Windows 7. When I plug in an ntfs drive it crashes explorer. If I close explorer in the task manager and run new task explorer.exe it shows up in task manager but does not pop up on screen. If I try and shutdown after plugging in the drive, it just hangs on shutting down. FAT32 drives work fine, but some of the files I work with are over 4 gigs so I need my ntfs drive to work. I have tried several different ntfs drives and they all do the same thing. When I plug them in other computers they work fine. All FAT32 drives work. Almost every link on google is purple for the searches "ntfs drive freezes explorer", or "external harddrive is not recognized by windows 7" and dozens of other searches. I have tried to look at it through disk management, but the second I plug in the drive it crashes and will never load again. One thing it does do, is in my computer Local Disk E:/ pops up and tries to load. But it never loads, the drive I am using is a toshiba, but I have used WD and other drives and they all do the same thing. I have hit a dead end and I have no idea what to do. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!