Sorry, mate. Been a LOT busy.

It would appear that the drives are fine. :)

Is the external drive connected at each boot? If so, please diconnect and try booting without for a while.

Also:

Click Start > type Event > strike the Enter key

I am using Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) ATM and find chkdsk logs in:

Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application

Sort by Source and look for Chkdsk as the source. The Event Viewer will list each scan. Click on the latest scan to view both system-event information and scan results in the preview pane; if you don't see a preview pane, you can turn it on in the View menu or simply double-click the log entry to open it in a separate window.

You can save it as a text file by clicking the Action button in the menu-bar and select Save Selected Events. Then, give the text file a name and use the Save as type menu to choose Text (Tab deliminated)(*.txt).

Then click Save.

Enter that text into the next post.

Edit: Latest scan = most current.

No chance of Santa intervening ! I've only had this PC about 3 years and my dear wife (= Senior Manager) would have a dicky fit were I to buy another ! I DO have an ancient, steam-drived laptop that I can fall back on in an emergency, but at the moment my younger daughter has it until she acquires a fresh one in the New Year. So will just have to battle on trying to remedy this annoying problem for the time being.

I was hoping that the external drive could house the image.... :unsure:

It has been a while since I imaged to DVD and remember it taking forever and eventually costing a small fortune. Hopefully a fresh install will kill the autochk issue. If not; then there actually is a hardware problem.

Jeez ! If we get much slower with this project it's gonna run into 2013 already. Are you sure you've wound this 'puter up before you started out ? - Is the mainspring weak by any chance ? :lol:

I hope that Santy Claws at least brings you some DVD blanks.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

I have never known the tip that Alan 2273 gave you in the first place not to work on Windows 7 !! So you have got to be doing something really wrong here.

The proper way to disable CHKDSK from starting up is using the /x switch on chkntfs command in command prompt. The /x switch will exclude a drive from the default boot-time check. If you have drive C: as your hard drive, then the command to disable chkdsk from scanning C: drive would be:

chkntfs /x c:

If you have 2 drive, C and D, you can disable chkdsk with the command below

chkntfs /x c: d:

then go ahead and reboot.

You've probably forgot to run that command as "Administrator" / "Elevated throne of the third plane of Uranus", and all that other stuff that Microsoft put in the way to get into our own systems first. - Do a read up on all of that.

Making a system image and replacing it back on to a HDD takes all of about an hour maximum. You sure do seem to be making a meal of it. (Poor preparation and not enough reading up on the subject prior to starting out maybe ?)

apparently "...this drive does not support NTFS files...", whatever that means.

Click This Link and find out exactly what it means then ! - (That's me a-shoutin' at yer. :rolleyes:)

Pretty pointless heavy duty fault finding CHKDSK, or doing system images if you haven't gripped the basics of file systems. A bit like climbing up a ladder to get down into the basement really.

Whooosh ! - That's the sound of me exiting stage left, and handing you back to your mentor Cap'n Bludgard.

A fine man who built up his wealth of computer knowledge serving 15-to-life in the Pen for murdering a man over a computer misunderstanding.

Have a good Christmas.

Hi bludgard - Don't bother responding to the previous post ! I've figured out how to restore the system image files - Microsoft don't make it easy to find things out, do they ? I've restored the system and all my data and things appear (touch wood !) to be working perfectly. The nasty, annoying chkdsk at every start up seems to have been zapped.

I must thank you for the patient attention you have given to my problem and for helping me to resolve it. :rolleyes:

Are we talking data (pix, flix, dox etc)? Highly possible/probable. :)

Installed programs will be a lost cause. :unsure:

I have yet to try mounting a VHD in Windows 7 on DVDs (only USB HDs).

Here's a link retrieving files from Windows VHDs:http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24771-system-image-extract-files-using-disk-management-8.html. Doubt it will work on DVDs....

Was it Widows disk image creator or a third party app?

There are plenty of ways to open image files; but it would be helpful to know what format the image file(s) is/are in.

One can reimage the machine with the DVDs if programs cannot be reinstalled.

Getting any chkdsk prompts with newly install OS? :uhm:

Calm now, calm Cap'n. - Go take your meds. :)

I must thank you for the patient attention you have given to my problem and for helping me to resolve it.

He sent his cousin Vinnie 'round to my place much sooner than this point, in one particular thread.

He has now already started missing your vital update posts. - A bad sign going on his past history.

Go quiet for a day or two while you are ahead, he can turn on you just like a Rottweiler with a grazed scrotum on a hot' n stormy summer day if you're not careful.

Follow this link to the lounge to realise that we are all a little strange here dustytyke. :drinks:

Link: http://forums.window...showtopic=50260

John.