SSD clone.

I have finally pushed the button on a Crucial M4 256MB SSD.

My question is, I put the SSD drive in my computer, use Acronis to clone the C:/ drive to the SSD, then do I just disconnect the C:/ drive and reboot for it to use the SSD as my C:/ drive or am I missing something, surely it cannot be that simple.

If I am talking out of my backside please let me know.

Yes, agreed. It really is that simple Alan. The only thing I have had on occasion is a non-booter which has been quickly resolved with the Windows repair disk (Vista, W7, W8)

I realise you know how to do this from command line Alan, so I wont try to teach my Granny how to suck eggs, but whenever I have had need of the information I have usually forgotten or lost it, and have to go digging around looking for it.

So here it is anyway: http://www.howtogeek...oader-problems/ :)

Most times it's just straight clone and all is good though as Jobe has said.

John.

D4\/!d Said: I give up! This is such a crap site now

That made me laugh. I had just finished posting and came back to see that remark. Even AlanHo has gone off with the hump. 'andsome is the only one satisfied. :lol:

Seeing as how I interrupted I will post that link of yours again D4\/!d.

SSD setup tips: http://www.sysnative...setup-tips.html

I don't know what you have on your C: drive, but mine has over 100GB contents.

I caught that as well, qat. I just figured Alan had encoded some serious compression algorithm to do away with all this "bigger is better" attitude. :lol:

I don't know what you have on your C: drive, but mine has over 100GB contents.

I caught that as well, qat. I just figured Alan had encoded some serious compression algorithm to do away with all this "bigger is better" attitude. :lol:

I do not even know what a serious compression algorithm is, also I do not know the difference between MB's and GB's. :paperbag1:

My bad, Alan. Was no insult intended. :flowers:

My bet is that drive will be 250GB. Make sure the drive is the same size (or larger) than the drive [partition(s)] being cloned. If the SSD is larger than the source drive, there will be unallocated space on the drive after cloning. Just extend the Windows partition (or whatever...) via Disk Management to use the remaining space. :hi:

In the end I decided to do a clean install. then sods law was evoked.

After no problems with the install, I expected about two hours installing Microsoft updates, but that did not happen as I found the Internet connection would not work.

On looking at the Virgin super hub all that was showing was one green flashing light, so after a call to Virgin I was told there was a fault in the area, which would be fixed by the next day.

Fast forward to the next day and still no connection, so after another call to Virgin, they booked me an appointment with an engineer, on the next day.

On the next day they phoned to confirm the appointment, the an hour later phoned again to cancel the engineer saying another fault had been found and would be fixed by that evening.

So to the evening and yes I have my connection back after 30 hours of having a new install that was nearly unusable as I could not download any drivers.

I have had the Super hub for about six months and have lost the connection about 3 times in that period, once for ten days.

Yet in the 8 years I had the old modem I only lost the connection once, whoever thought up the name Super hub should be hung drawn and quartered.

Everything working alright now and back up done.

The wife is happy now as she said the computer seemed a little slow, now she says it is very quick, so although I had the aggravation of no connection it was worth the wait for the brownie points from SWMBO.