How To Reduce Forum Spam

AlanHo

I would submit that we could significantly reduce the number of one-visit spammers if the registration process included an effective captcha qualifying question. This would also ensure that all future new members possessed similar educational and mental ability standards to us regular posters.

Something like the qualifying question on the following site would do the trick - try refreshing the page a few times if you cannot answer the first question - you will see what I mean.

http://random.irb.hr/signup.php

Are the4 Mods going to have to mark the maths answer? Can we use pencil and paper or do we have to it mentally?

That is for you guys to decide - after all it is you mods who need some respite from fighting the tide. I have merely done all the hard work finding a means of curtailing the serious spam problem being faced by the forum.

I have come up with a novel and brilliant solution - even andsome or maneman would not have done any better. You mods should now liaise with our re-invigorated admin to agree how to apply it.

But first - you should each re-apply for membership to make sure you are all up to the task.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

" you should each re-apply for membership to make sure you are all up to the task."

Faced with such a Captcha if I had to re-apply for membership, I would firstly try to ignore the initial question and try to talk my way around it, altering the primary questions in such a way that my answers would best suit something that I had wanted to talk about in the first place. Hopefully due to my persistence, the pre-constructed, and premeditated Captcha would soon tire of the "game", give up, - and let me in.

I have found similar strategic thinking both necessary, and helpful in many other areas of the forum.

Who rattled your bloody cage anyway Alan ? :)

You never came up with anything as innovative as this before you started to tackle Android.

"even andsome or maneman would not have done any better"

That is quite hurtful when you consider that I constructed a forum where you and I were the only members and I made it impossible for anyone to register for membership, - eventually even closing the doors on the honeytrap for spammers. - You have a short memory. :lol:

That story and the thinking behind it is one for the "Lounge" in the near future. :glare:

Thanks go to Craig for his work on the complexities of the text editor, and of course providing us with a proper forum.

John.