Best Set-Up for Two Users on a Desktop PC

AlanHo

I know this is a dumb question - but I don't mind showing off my ignorance.

We currently have two desktop PC's of similar specification, both running Windows 8 very happily. My wife uses one rig - I use the other.

Both machines have MS Office suite, IE10 and other common software. Each machine has two hard drives - one for the OS and programs the second one for all documents and data. The standard Windows folders for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos have all been moved to the second D: drive on each computer so it is easy to ensure all data gets saved there.

However - we now have our house up for sale with the intention of downsizing to a small house or large apartment in a retirement complex. I will no longer enjoy the luxury of a large study and hobbies room we both share. It will therefore be necessary to downsize our study and use just one shared computer. This will not be a problem because my wife mainly uses a tablet computer for her internet browsing and Emails - she only needs a desktop for occasional correspondence, internet shopping, banking and photo editing where files need to be printed and saved securely..

If I set up a second account on my computer for my wife :-

Will there be a second set of Documents, Music, Pictures and Video folders created for her exclusive use. If so, I assume I can install her current D: drive in a spare bay in my computer - name it drive E: and move her windows folders for documents, pictures, music and video files there.

Will I have to use her account to install her copy of MS Office and other software even though the same software is already installed on my computer - or is there a way that the existing software can be shared by both accounts.

I still want to use Acronis and Second Copy to store back-ups on external hard drives. Will I be able to initiate the back-ups from just one account or will I have to do everything twice. (Separate data back-ups for each account)

Is there an easier way for both of us to use the same computer - noting that confidentiality is not an issue with any of the files but we would like to keep them in separate folders.

To answer your questions Alan.

1/ Yes there will be a second set of Documents, Music etc on her user account.

2/ If you locate your copy of MS office, then click My computer and click the C/: drive, click Users then click on her account name and then desktop then drag and drop the icons for MS office to her desktop so she will be able to use them.

3/ Yes you will be able to initiate back up from your account, just select all the drives to back up.

4/ Non that I am aware of.

One thing though, if your wife plays online games, these will deposit a short cut onto your desktop, which can be transfered back to her desktop using the same method as for transferring the MS office icons.

We've been through all this a number of times at home.

Firstly with the kids school work, then setting them up in their first home with partner/spouse, then when wife decided to use a pc, adding her account.

In every case the alternative accounts were never used.

Who ever used the PC just used the account of whoever was open.

It happened when they were kids, we all used the same login.

I happened again when I set up accounts for dau and new husband - they ignored it and both used same login.

"Dad, its too much hassle to keep flipping from one to the other".

And even now wife and I use same PC. It works for us.

I know your gonna say how much you need to keep each others doings separate - but in practice I bet you won't.

I say: both use the same login account.