Want to clean up C drive

#1. When I go to view my Windows directory is see a lot of files listed that look like this: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB939683$. What are they, and can I delete them without messing up my system. There are also files with .tmp and .log - can I delete them.

#2. What are .vdm files? Can I delete them?

#3. Under my C: drive "Documents and Setting", I have a folders named: C:\Documents and Settings\Ali\Application Data, and C:\Documents and Settings\Ali\Local Settings\Application Data, that have some of the same files. Are these duplicates? e.g. Adobe, Google, and HP. Can I delete the duplicates.

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I just want to free up space on my "old" computer.

Mahalo... :beach:

$NtUninstallKB................... are the uninstall files for Windows Update.

If you delete them you won't be able to uninstall any updates, if you are not bothered about this go ahead and remove.
BUT I personally would recommend that you leave them alone.

If your PC gets screwed up and needs a System Restore, your only option could be to do a fresh install of Windows.

Me too because I took the advice here, only way to make sure not doing anything silly like me at times without the help here :group:

Another great help is Win Patrol and Pro because you can get extra info on what is safe on start and what is not necessary too or late start so start that much quicker so with the two, Cleaner + Win Patrol not waiting quick start quick shut down.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate your response to my first question. Keeping them is fine with me. Do you have an answer to my other two questions?

Great Input Lambchop. And I'm sure we all appreciate the help we get here on the forum. - As the last responder in this thread is there any possibility that you could throw some light onto the questions that he/she has asked. Other people seem just a little unresponsive to the requests. (Just seems to have drifted a bit "Way- Off-Topic" at the moment)

Edit: Hold on for just a while just in case He/She happens to be one of those time wasters who has signed on, - and never to be seen again type people. - Sit back first and see if the original questions are asked. :)

.vdm files are written in the VDM-SL language, also known as VDM++.

Not knowing what software you have installed, I have no idea what could have created them or whether they are needed.

Edit: Hold on for just a while just in case He/She happens to be one of those time wasters who has signed on, - and never to be seen again type people. - Sit back first and see if the original questions are asked. :)

He/she hasn't been back since Pat W posted his advice on 4 April