Hi all,

I am building my own PC for the first time.

I thought I would save money by purchasing Windows 8 through my school.

On the Software download page, Windows 8 is listed for $19.75, quite a bargain.

However, now that I look more closely (only when I clock on the product and look for product details) I realize that this is only an UPGRADE, not the full OS.

Therefore I need a Windows OS already installed in order to make use of the product (something that is not included in their "System Requirements".

Anyway, the point is, I am wondering if I can boot up my new computer with something like Windows Vista or Windows 7 from a flash drive and then download the Windows 8 Upgrade to my hard drive and go from there.

If so, can I use an old product key for one of those operating systems? I think we have a disk for Windows Vista and the computer which we installed it to is no longer in use.

Can anyone think of a better work-around?

Even if I have to buy Vista (~$50 these days I think) and then buy the $20 upgrade, it would be less than the full price of Windows 8 which is probably between $150 and $200.

This seems like a pretty big oversight overall because I could not even find the full version of Windows 8 on the microsoft website, and even the customer service person I talked to didn't know how I would purchase it through their site.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

Installing a Windows upgrade does not require an older Windows version to be already installed; it will just require during the installation process that you either briefly insert the old Windows disk, or enter the old Windows product key.

But frankly, I would just install Windows 7; it is the most stable Windows version since XP. Vista and 8 is not something I would wish on any of my systems.

Hi all,

If so, can I use an old product key for one of those operating systems? I think we have a disk for Windows Vista and the computer which we installed it to is no longer in use.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

Hi, Ryan.

The retail Vista install media and valid key will do IMO.

Careful with Windows 8; get the hardware right or it will buck: Still may be buggy....

Thanks for dropping by and please let us know how you get on?

Welcome to Windows Forum,

Jobe

Edit: Ditto what qat said concerning Windows 7. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi everybody, thanks for the advice!

I ended up going with Windows 8 and it has been working really well so far.

The app system is a little annoying as it makes it difficult to multitask with certain programs, but I'm finding new ways around these hurdles every day.

I was able to boot from a Windows 8 Upgrade disk as if it were the full OS. No problems at all, didn't even have to insert a key or disk for a previous OS.

Building my own PC was a great experience, and I'm really glad the OS situation worked itself out :)

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

Installing a Windows upgrade does not require an older Windows version to be already installed; it will just require during the installation process that you either briefly insert the old Windows disk, or enter the old Windows product key.

But frankly, I would just install Windows 7; it is the most stable Windows version since XP. Vista and 8 is not something I would wish on any of my systems.

After seeing it on a friends computer I agree wholeheartedly.