How do you restore my Vista laptop in Safe Mode?

PianoDude1011

So a few months ago I downloaded Windows Defender and Windows Defender offline onto the worst laptop ever (my laptop). I downloaded Windows Defender, and it told me that a virus was detected that could only be fixed by downloading Windows Defender Offline onto a USB. So I downloaded it to my USB and booted to it. Windows Defender Offline detected a "virus" and asked me if the program could remove it, and I said yes. When it removed it, I shut down the PC and rebooted. When I rebooted though, the Blue Screen of Death would come up for a split second after bootup, and the system rebooted. This happens all the time, and now the only way I can access this computer is through Safe Mode. In the past few months, I've been backing up all 100 GB or so of my files onto a cloud storage website. I'm finally done and ready to reset this computer to system default. The problem is, I don't know how to do that on Vista Safe Mode. Can anyone tell me how?

Press it: The same button to get to Safe Mode.... Maybe?

Okay, so I do that, click "Repair my computer," but it requires me to type in a username and password. My laptop is set to be connected to a domain, my username is owner, and my PC's name is "owner-PC" so what do I put for my username? I have no password by the way.

Follow these instructions, taken from the Dell main site.

Back up important files and data. If you do not back up your files, you will lose them.

Turn off your computer.

Disconnect everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse. This includes your:

scanner

printer

modem or network cables

mobile phone and tablet

USB flash drive or other external hard drive

If your laptop is docked, remove it from the docking station.

When the Dell logo appears, press F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Note: If the Advanced Boot Options menu doesn't open, wait for the Windows login prompt. Then restart the computer and try again.

Use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter.

On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.

To access the recovery options, log in as an administrator and click OK to open the Dell Factory Image Restore menu.

Depending on your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools and then Dell Factory Image Restore.

Click Next to open the Confirm Data Deletion menu.

Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box and click Next.

Note: The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

After the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.

Restore any data or programs you want from back up files.

I

Follow these instructions, taken from the Dell main site.

Back up important files and data. If you do not back up your files, you will lose them.

Turn off your computer.

Disconnect everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse. This includes your:

scanner

printer

modem or network cables

mobile phone and tablet

USB flash drive or other external hard drive

If your laptop is docked, remove it from the docking station.

When the Dell logo appears, press F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Note: If the Advanced Boot Options menu doesn't open, wait for the Windows login prompt. Then restart the computer and try again.

Use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter.

On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.

To access the recovery options, log in as an administrator and click OK to open the Dell Factory Image Restore menu.

Depending on your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools and then Dell Factory Image Restore.

Click Next to open the Confirm Data Deletion menu.

Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box and click Next.

Note: The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

After the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.

Restore any data or programs you want from back up files.

It asks me for a username and password. I have no password. My laptop is set to be connected to a domain. My username is owner, my PC's name is owner-PC, so what do I put for my username?

• 2 weeks later...

access dell inspiron bios

DELL

• After switching on your computer, let the DELL logo appear before pressing the F2 key until Entering Setup is displayed on the screen.

• Previous versions of DELL might require you to press CTRL+ALT+ENTER to access the BIOS set up menu.

• The DELL laptops use the Fn+ESC or Fn+F1 keys to access the BIOS set up.