Backing up into the Cloud

doug

On behalf of No. 1 Daughter, relating to backups.

Having been through the necessity of backups last Jan/Feb we have just had another near miss. She works from home one day a week and aslo does private work - hence the reason I'm always harking on about her backups. Anyway everything seemed to have gone belly up, last week, the only way she could work was that once her PC had booted up she had to leave it running continuously. Got things sorted yesterday, took her PC to a local shop who connected a monitor, keyboard and mouse - I sensed immediately that was one of the things I should had tried!

Naturally, it all booted up extremely quickly, thankfully no charge, so I took it back plugged it in and progressively re-booted it with each peripheral plugged in. It hanged when her external HDD was plugged in! So I removed it and brought it home. Damn thing worked fine here and noted that her last backups were last February - you can lead a horse to water!.

So while I do some more checking regarding this ext HDD are there any suggestions with regard to backing up to an on-line facility. Now to comply with the Chapman Philosophy it has to be free. Frankly the thought worries me in that the backup will be out of immediate control and could be at risk of contamination.

So help me out here chaps and chapesses.

It's like everything else Doug. You plant your data where you think it will be safe and hope for the best.

The only alternative is to add an external drive and use something like Acronis for backups and hope the drive doesn't give out if you need it.

I use an external 2GB drive for my Mac and it does hourly backups known as a Time Machine, it's been great so far. I also use the iCloud for some files I have, mainly finance and documents. So far so good.