XP security and IE8

Recently read an article on things to do to optimize security on an XP comp now MS have ended support, one suggestion was to disable Internet Explorer as it's a primary interface to the creeps on the web and future holes will remain unplugged. Well as I'm a 360 browser convert and went well and truly off IE8 a long time ago this was quickly done.

But brings up another thought IE 8 and its updates are taking quite a lot of space on a smallish hard drive, safe to delete or could this open security flaws and exploits even if its disabled ?

I suggest that you use the remove 'Hotfix uninstallers' in CCleaner. To remove everything manually will confuse Windows Update; although there are no more updates forthcoming, WU is still active (unless it is disabled).

I think I will disable WU for all XP systems that are still around here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am using Windows 8.1 on a laptop. I initially created an administrator account, but now I am adding a new local account, because I want to give certain users access to software without having to enter a password. I created the local account without problems, but now I want to share several files used by the software. The program is JMRI, a program used by model railroaders. I can run the program as a local user, but the files used by the program (already created as an admin) are available only if I log on as the administrator. I need to know how to make those files available to the local user. I don't relish the thought of re-creating all of those files!

Jeff

Hello adson3492, welcome to Windows Forum.

You would be better off starting a new thread with this matter as it is totally divorced from the thread above this one.

Just copy and paste your post into a new thread with a Title that suits your problem.

HTH.