Roboscan Internet security

Belatucadrus

Roboscan is a free internet security packaage from :

Roboscan Inc.
5201 Great America Parkway, Suite 320
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel : (408) 493-0137
E-Mail : [email protected]

It has two virus engines, their own Tera engine and Bitdefender, there is real time protection and three levels of manual anti virus scan :- Quick, Basic and Advanced. It also comes with schedulable runs and a firewall.

On the downside the free version has an ad banner accross the interface, and a smaller ad window that shows up when the program pops up notifications like completed update. Fortunately not very obtrusive and aren't a problem. The free version also misses out on the registry cleaner and temp file remover which show up but the controls are blanked on the freebie. It does however retain a high level of configurabilty so you can set it pretty much as you wish.

It was submitted to VirusBulletin until December last year with pretty good results, not so far this year don't know why.

Only been a few days thus far but so far so good, updates have run smoothly an the scans ran OK but slowly and didn't plague me with false positives.

I think I may have discovered the fly in the ointment, looking at the blog posts and news on the website made me realise that there's nothing new on it, same with their Google plus and Facebook pages. Checking the program info both engines are updating but the software looks as if it could be vintage 2013 with no evidence of activity on the development front.

So not submitted to VirusBulletin this year and website looking like it hasn't been updated for a year or so, clearly all is not happy in the Roboscan world. I'll keep it for a while but unless things change I'm transferring it to my "Potential Orphanware Collection"

• 1 month later...

What can I say, it runs smoothly, still updating regularly and the Ad banner isn't obtrusive. But the website and all the Social Media sights are clearly as good as abandoned and there's no reference to Windows 8.1 or 10 on the compatibility list.

Looks as if they were using third parties for the signatures which are still going but Roboscan itself looks to have gone belly up.

So conclusions :-

1) Still updating so possibly OK as a barrier on older systems.

2) Lack of support means ability to deal with new threats badly compromised.

3) It does come with an Ad Banner

Can I hand on heart recommend it ? No way there are still many live projects available: avast, Avira, AVG, Bitdeffender etc. USE ONE OF THEM INSTEAD !!

Hey Belatucadrus, I've been using Roboscan for a couple of weeks and so far, so good. It seems to updating as you say, but I don't like the way it seems to be just lingering until it's out of breath. Support is non existent.

I will not be keeping it because I think Roboscan inc has gone bust, if not they haven't properly supported any of their Internet presences for a year and I doubt the product will be receiving necessary updates to deal with new threats. As I said possibly OK to protect a clean system but if anything gets through I have doubts about its cleaning abilities.

An unsupported product isn't a good idea for security, look elsewhere.

List of alternatives