WEI (windows experience index. in Windows 8.1

The option to run WEI in Win 8.1 is still there but it is harder to find.

To run the WIE in Win 8.1 you need the command line and to read the results you need the powershell.

Open a command prompt as administrator, then type "winsat prepop" and press Enter. This will run the benchmark and store the results on your PC as XML files.

Then at the prompt type "powershell -Command Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_WinSAT"
Both commands are without the inverted commas.

At the bottom of the results are your WEI scores.

I tried that - the first stage worked ok.

However - when I used the powershall command a blue window containing information flashed onto the screen but vanished again before I have time to read anything.

I have tried it three times with the same result.

Alternatively, just use ChrisPC Win Experience Index - works on Windows 10 too :)

http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/

I don't think I will Boris.

This is their user agreement..

In order to provide this free download, RelevantKnowledge software, provided by TMRG, Inc., a comScore, Inc. company, is included in this download. This software allows millions of participants in an online market research community to voice their opinions by allowing their online browsing and purchasing behavior to be monitored, collected, aggregated, and once anonymized, used to generate market reports which our clients use to understand Internet trends and patterns and other market research purposes. The information which is monitored and collected includes internet usage information, basic demographic information, certain hardware, software, computer configuration and application usage information about the computer on which you install RelevantKnowledge. We may use the information that we monitor, such as name and address, to better understand your household demographics; for example, we may combine the information that you provide us with additional information from consumer data brokers and other data sources in accordance with our privacy policy. We make commercially viable efforts to automatically filter confidential personally identifiable information and to purge our databases of such information about our panelists when inadvertently collected. By clicking Accept you acknowledge that you are 18 years of age or older, an authorized user of the computer on which you are installing this application, and that you have read, agreed to, and have obtained the consent of all computer and TV users to the terms and conditions of the Privacy Statement, User License Agreement (ULA), and Patent Notice.

Alan did you look in the cmd box, the results should be at the bottom.

The problem is, as I said a box opens with a blue background and white text - but it vanishes within milliseconds. I am assuming that this is the command box - if not - the command box is not shown.

Alternatively, just use ChrisPC Win Experience Index - works on Windows 10 too :)

http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/

I don't think I will Boris.

This is their user agreement..

In order to provide this free download, RelevantKnowledge software, provided by TMRG, Inc., a comScore, Inc. company, is included in this download. This software allows millions of participants in an online market research community to voice their opinions by allowing their online browsing and purchasing behavior to be monitored, collected, aggregated, and once anonymized, used to generate market reports which our clients use to understand Internet trends and patterns and other market research purposes. The information which is monitored and collected includes internet usage information, basic demographic information, certain hardware, software, computer configuration and application usage information about the computer on which you install RelevantKnowledge. We may use the information that we monitor, such as name and address, to better understand your household demographics; for example, we may combine the information that you provide us with additional information from consumer data brokers and other data sources in accordance with our privacy policy. We make commercially viable efforts to automatically filter confidential personally identifiable information and to purge our databases of such information about our panelists when inadvertently collected. By clicking Accept you acknowledge that you are 18 years of age or older, an authorized user of the computer on which you are installing this application, and that you have read, agreed to, and have obtained the consent of all computer and TV users to the terms and conditions of the Privacy Statement, User License Agreement (ULA), and Patent Notice.

How about this instead then :-

Winaero WEI Tool

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wei-tool-free-download

Thanks for that Irene but two of the tools have already been reported hear. Chris automatically installs piggy back software to moitor your computer and announces the results to the World.

Winaero reports results in less than a blink of an eye and is therefore not scanning your computer properly.

Metro Experience Index I imagine is for those who use the metro interface. I don't. In any event it shows up with a red waring on WOT and I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

I have now totally given up on these third party tweaks - my computer is faster than me anyway - and the WEI figure is therefore acedemic