Intel Management Engine Interface Disabled

johnoo

Going into the Management Engine I/Face details it says the current driver version is 9.5.10.1658.

But I'm concerned because I recently downloaded a revised BIOS Program, version 1.70 which gave me problems & a IBM engineer came out & fitted a new Motherboard, so I would have thought that it had the latest versions of chips etc.

First thing I would try: delete the driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface, restart Windows and see what happens.

If that does not fix the problem:

1. what is your Windows version?

2. what is that new motherboard?

3. do you have the Chipset Identification Utility installed?

Pat,

I was scared to do it, but took the risk & deleted the Driver.

& restarted windows, version 8.1.

In the Devise manager, the "Management Engine I/face" now shows not to have a problem.

But the driver version is Version 7.0.0.1144 dated 19/10/2010.

Went in to update Driver & told "Latest version installed"

However now found that a newer Driver version was in the Solution Center waiting to be installed, version 9.5.10.1658 so I have installed this.

So why has an older driver version been installed but now told this is the latest?

Also has it cured the problem?

Also please advise how I can find the Motherboard type?, I've looked on the specification within "Solution Center" & can't find it

Unfortunately, you don't get the best info on a board when it is a laptop from one of the main manufacturers - the boards are normally bespoke - so you can't do much with them :(

Fora desktop with a normal board you get better info e.g.

Manufacturer Foxconn
Model G31MX Series (Socket 775)
Version OEM
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision 10
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Southbridge Revision A1

Why did you want to know the details of yours for anyway ?

Ah ! it is one of these :- http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops/thinkcentre/edge-series-towers/edge-72/#tab-tech_specs

My comments re. "laptop" above apply exactly the same to mass produced desktops - which have their own "OEM branded" boards built for them by makers such as Foxconn. It makes ugrading them with faster processors etc. just a tad more difficult :).

Luckily your model does list the range of CPUs that it will take.

Think this may have gone of track.

The problem was with the MEI being disabled code 43.

Using Pats idea I have now solved this, I hope permanently

I would love to know why it went "bad" in the first place, but perhaps should consider myself lucky that this forum exists to give help in situations like this

I would love to know why it went "bad" in the first place, but perhaps should consider myself lucky that this forum exists to give help in situations like this

Sorry, I don't know "why". I had a very similar problem with a different device after upgrading to Windows 10. I deleted the driver, restarted Windows, and voilà: it was fixed.

The same thing (same device) happened again this week, and I used the same procedure to fix it again.

P.S. if you are curious why there are different "newest" driver versions: there is always the one from the manufacturer (usually higher), and there is the generic one assigned by Microsoft to Windows. I personally like to have the newest "newest" driver installed...

• 6 months later...
In general, the newer the board/chipset (Intel 7 or 8 series), the more you need the IME software. It's not a Gigabyte driver, it is from Intel and does many underlying things that are difficult to explain. All of the chipset's features may not work until IME is installed. The Device Manager unknown device entry is a sign that IME is not installed.

• 1 month later...

A bit late in the game, but Lenovo System Update utility takes care of things pretty decently on their products. It offers drivers, firmware and other packages that one may wish to install. We own a few ThinkPads and use this method 95% of the time to update our products.