Member Unable to Log-on

AlanHo

One of our members, who has been absent for some time, has attempted to take another look at the forum.

He tells me that when he tries to log on here he is getting the following message on his Linux desktop. He is definitely using the correct forum address - I have checked with him.

What advice can we give him?

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.windowsforum.org, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

www.windowsforum.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

Evening,

Two possible scenarios for this error:

1. The client OS has not been updated in some time and does not have root certificates for the required CA.  Solution, update the OS or manually download the root CA.
  2. Content on the page viewed was being hot-linked from a source external to Windows Forum. As of Sunday, a feature was enabled which will attempt to cache external content locally on Windows Forum.

Scenario 2 is more likely.  I've made your connection to Windows Forum secure, however some external content is being correctly identified as unsecure. Invision have implemented a feature which will attempt to cache any external content locally on our server, so this will go some way to reduce the amount of errors, however it wont be until all websites have adopted SSL that we will see the error go away entirely.

Craig