Student Beats Copy Protection

mark2

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031010/36/ear26.html

On Thursday, SunnComm CEO Peter Jacobs said the company plans legal action and is considering both criminal and civil suits. He said it may charge the student with maligning the company's reputation and, possibly, with violating copyright law that bans the distribution of tools for breaking through digital piracy safeguards.

"We feel we were the victim of an unannounced agenda and that the company has been wronged," Jacobs said. "I think the agenda is: 'Digital property should belong to everyone on the Internet.' I'm not sure that works in the marketplace."

"This is not black hat [hackers'] exploits he's revealing. This is Windows
:D

Not wishing to appear to be an expert in this, or advocate its use but, is it new?

Stopping Windows auto run by whatever means is old hat and can even be the default in the Windows system.

I've known about it for some time, along with using an elastic band or black marker pen to do similar things. The black marker pen method was, I am told, published by Sony a long time ago.

Brian