Running Sfc With A Recovery Cd

Guest spikeychris

Guest spikeychris

Lots of people are issued with a recovery CD rather than a full installation disk and when they come to do a system file check the struggle. I've been having a play with one and come up with this....

If you don’t have a full installation disk then insert the recovery disk and explore it, you are looking for the I386 folder/directory. Copy the 1386 to c:\windows\i386, you would then redirect to that directory rather than D: or whatever drive your CD is.

You will first however have to edit the registry to allow this to happen. Go to…

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and change the sourcePath to c:\windows\i386, it will look like the below..

SourcePath = c:\windows\i386

If you don’t have the key above you will have to create it first…..

Guest spikeychris

Nellie

Your monument shall be my gentle verse, which eyes not yet created shall o'er read. Defend your reputation, or bid farewell to your good life for ever. The purest treasure mortal times afford, is spotless reputation. Kindness in women, not their beauteous looks, shall win my love.

Guest nellie2

:blush: :blush:

*swoon

Is it thy will thy image should keep open

My heavy eyelids to the weary night?

Dost thou desire my slumbers should be broken,

While shadows like to thee do mock my sight?

Is it thy spirit that thou send'st from thee

So far from home into my deeds to pry,

To find out shames and idle hours in me,

The scope and tenor of thy jealousy?

O, no! thy love, though much, is not so great:

It is my love that keeps mine eye awake;

Mine own true love that doth my rest defeat,

To play the watchman ever for thy sake:

For thee watch I whilst thou dost wake elsewhere,

From me far off, with others all too near.

• 1 month later...
Guest spikeychris

Update and add on

Should of realised this earlier, most users have SP1 either by download or by disk or by buying a new machine. Things will be slightly different as the update changes the SFC options by creating a file called "ServicePackFiles". This means you will have to give a new location...

Change the reg entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Software Microsoft WindowsNT Current Version SourcePath, type in the new location as follows: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles.

You will then change the source (where's Windows going to get the files) to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386

Chris