Spiced Kale Crisps

Irene

Spiced kale crisps

Prep: 5 mins Cook: 20 mins

Serves:  4-6  aS a snack

image.png 

EmailIngredients

·        100g chunky chopped kale, or kale leaves, tough stalks removed (weight without stalks)

·        ½ tbsp olive oil

·        1 heaped tsp ras el hanout

Method

1.   Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2 and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.

2.   Wash the kale and dry thoroughly.  

3.   Place in a large bowl, tearing any large leaves into smaller pieces.

4.   Drizzle over the oil, then massage into the kale.  

5.   Sprinkle over the ras el hanout and some sea salt, mix well, then tip onto the trays and spread out in a single layer.

6.   Bake for 18-22 mins or until crisp but still green, then leave to cool for a few mins.

Recipe Tips

*    Keep them crispy…

Kale crisps are best eaten within a few hours of making. If they become soft, just pop them back in a low oven for 3-4 mins to crisp up.

Make your own spice blend…*

As an alternative to ras el hanout, try sprinkling over 1 tsp each of turmeric, ground cinnamon and coriander before baking.

ras el hanout means top of the shop. A Middle Eastern spice mixture which includes rose petals. Very nice and tasty.

This fried kale closely resembles what used to be called fried seaweed in Chinese restaurants.

I often used to make it but forgot about it until this reminder. I'll start doing it again. I remember the grandchildren loved it.