Der Neymar Song.

Gandalph

13 hours ago, Gandalph said:

Quite right too catgate, a right load of rubbish. :laughitup:

Takes me back to Grammar school in the later years of the war.

They were still teaching us German, and some how I was thinking  there would be no Germany left if the war was rounded off as it should be.

I have since realised that the bit that we were taught was really insufficient, and was there not for the education of scholars, it was for the aggrandisement of our  pedantic teachers..

These teachers were in the main a sad bundle of elderly males who were not teachers but were automaton running on scripts. ........a very sad group indeed.

Our class was very lucky. For our couple of last years , in which we took examinations to ascertain who was fit to go to  collage/university etc. we got  the finest teacher in the school. Sadly his wife was dyeing from cancer and he would always appear at least 10 min. late, with a sandwich and a flask of tea.

I am not sure how it began but remember standing up one morning,  in front of the class, conducting a discussion about the previous evening nights homework. when In came "Jacky."

From then onwards I was called "Upwood". and I was to be the " Chairman" of the discussions etc that preceded Jacky arrival.

Forwards about 30 years.

One delightful afternoon in the Cravan area I was walking down a foot path running down the "inside" of a stone wall that was separating the canal tow path from a group of trees..For some reason I stopped and went to the wall and looked over.I looked to the left and all was calm and delightful. I then looked right and a man I recognised from the past was walking towards  me.

The man looked up at me and said ,"Ah! Upwood!"  "What are you doing over in this area?"

The conversation was just as though the last meeting was yesterday,

If all teachers had his feeling for his pupils, school would be a totally different thing.

Very Interesting catgate. 

I totally agree about your statement "If all teachers had his feeling for his pupils, school would be a totally different thing". Teachers these day's seem to have lost touch with their pupils and what they should be doing at the school to start with, at least locally so I'm told. In my day we stayed in one classroom and the teachers came to us to give the lesson, except for Science as our own teacher was an ex-war Scientist and the lab was next to the classroom, (but more on him later), now it seems that the kid's are wandering all over the school for different lessons. There was none of this 'mixed class' either. The Boy's went to one part of the school and the girl's were all next door in their own school. 

On a thought, perhaps the teachers were teaching German just in case thing's didn't go as old Winston had planned. 

I think I could write a book about the "teachers/lecturers" and their self-aggrandisement.

With the exception of just two or three teachers (Jackie Milner being one of them) they would all  "pomce about" in their "gowns". One teacher seemed to have based his appearance on a Roman warrior, with a horse shoe shape of  grey  hair fitted back to front.

Another one was so well full of the importance of his appearance that he had on a clean starched white shirt every day. (There was also a smelly Welsh man trying to teach history .

His shortage of teeth did sometimes make the using of some words a bit dodgy,  but the amount of "spit" did give comfort  as far as fire precautions was concerned.)

I think the best "event"  took place in one of the physics labs. on one Friday..  It was customary for this particular physics teacher to prepare the "lab,"  for the afternoon class, before going to the pub/inn next door to the school for his liquid lunch.  He would set up the equipment and materials ready for our afternoon "practical" session,  where the class was split in to a suitable number of  groups  and carry out the particular allocated "experiment" .  

All went as normal and we were split up into appropriate size groups. It was a lovely afternoon and so someone thought it would be a shame to waste the remainder of the days sunshine farting about with physics.. As a result, after ensuring that the alcohol had given the teacher the requisite "comfort", we all quietly left him to rest.

Nothing was ever said about it.