I've Been Robbed Again - And Feeling Deflated

AlanHo

A few days ago I went out in the car and after driving for about 5 minutes the tyre pressure warning light came on. After months of warm weather, autumn has arrived and night time temperatures have fallen. The instrument display showed 3 tyres at 32 psi and one tyre at 31 psi. I usually keep them all at 36 psi, but had neglected to check them for quite some time.

When I returned home to inflate them with my trusty Michelin 12v compressor – I found that 3 of the valve dust caps were missing.  The last time I inflated the tyres there were 2 dust caps missing.

Déjà vu – there are petty thieves about.

Because they are only plastic and cost pence not pounds, I find this more irritating than if they had stolen the whole car. I have ordered 8 dust caps from Ebay for a total of £1.99 including postage to ensure I have spares in the boot for the next time it happens.

Are you sure they have been stolen or have they merely unscrewed themselves due to vibration?

The reason I ask this is because of a recent problem with my CH boiler which turned out to be the pilot light controller thermocouple had worked itself loose due to expansion/contraction/vibration during the on/off heat cycling of the system and apparently failed. A simple tighten-up and it was fixed.

Also, these caps can be found sometimes on the road surface.

You are right pops - I cannot be sure - but I always inflate the tyres myself and screw the caps on very tightly. My car came with caps having a metal trim bearing the KIA logo on them, and thus attractive to magpie thieves. 

From now on I will fit cheap black plastic ones.

I'm tyred of it. To cap it all, I'm all pumped up and feeling the pressure. These thieving bastards deserve CAPital punishment. 

I've decided to fool them by putting locktite or super glue on the tyre valve threads - they will never get them undone again.

57 minutes ago, catgate said:

"" they will never get them undone again""            ...............and will you ???

There will be no need - andsome has promised me it will keep all the air in..........................:whistling:

It is one of my better ideas. I should patent it................:laughitup: