[RESOLVED] -LostRun.exe

I'm a little concerned with

Reboot.exe

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/r/remot..._0_build_44.asp

points to a trojan

http://www.topcatcomputing.com/articles/di...cle.asp?DocID=7 suggests it isn't for 98

REBOOT.EXE is not for use with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP operating Systems. This utility can be used with MS-DOS and Windows 3.1

Can you find file size etc from properties for it ?

Maybe we can do a bit more digging. :ph34r:

There was reboot in the msconfig. I unticked it and lo and behold the LostRun.exe didn't appear this time. A sucess, cross fingers. Thanks. Now at your leisure folks what else can I untick from my startup in msconfig. Should I permanently delete the items and how? :wacko:

Doug,

send reboot.exe to the recycle bin from

C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.

these

Cmaudio

Logitech Desktop Messenger

Pointer

you can safely disable, this will free up a little memory but it looks pretty clean & lean to me.

I would recommend an a/v & trojan check tho.

Thanks mark. I've un-ticked Cmaudio, Logitech and pointer and re-booted. Having un-ticked Reboot earlier, neither it or LostRun appear in the Start/Programs/Startup group.

Now 2 last, I hope, questions. 1) I have Grisoft Avg running all the time and do a full scan every week, last was 2 days ago. How would a trojan get through and how would I run a more thorough check?

2) How can I permanently remove the unchecked items from the startup in msconfig. I ask this because when I ran something the other day all the unchecked items became re-checked. My Systray had so many items in it it almost took up all the screen width.

Thanks for you forbearance.

Doug

a1, a/v aren't so hot on finding trojans as viruses. A dedicated trojan scanner is best for these. I use TDS-3 but it's not a freebie. A good alternative to trojan scanners is registryprot. It monitors parts of the registry where trojans usually begin.

Swatit free gets reasonable reviews as a trojan scanner.

a2, whilst the programs remain on your system I don't think you can unless it is via a registry tweak/hack

Thanks for all your help mark. I've loaded and run the Regitryprotectot. It came up with the items I've stripped down to plus one other. I said OK to it then realised that I should have made a note before that so I can do a search to check on it. Now the program is sitting there just running. Tried stopping and re-starting it but doesn't repeat the first run. Do I leave this running or only run it from time to time?

PS I did need the POINTER file running it's for the forward and back buttons for my M$ Optical Intellimouse

regprotect will start with windows, you need do nothing else with it until it warns you when a registry key is being written to. It will warn you when you disable something in msconfig , clearing temp IE files & cookies etc, also when you install new apps (or they install themselves [trojan like behaviour])

only using 244k in processes on my system, you could disable it msconfig :o but not advised. :D

doug, the Pitstop test will show you your running processes under the 'Windows' tab in your results list. They are also colour-coded 'safe, viruses, spyware etc' You can select any entry and it will tell you what it is and how it came to be running on your PC. You could also post the 'Tech Express' link from your results main page and we could see it here.

Will do that but the Pitstop is undergoing maintenance at the moment and they advise not to run the full test, just yet. I can't raise the results of my last test. Will do it later. Going off with wife now - were going up to Belsay to lokk at the Autumn colours now that she's a tad better. Got to do something with our time :D

Right progress to date. Went into Regedit and deleted all the items showing in Run- . Re-booted and B*******r me those unchecked items in the Start up group were still there, albeit still unchecked. <_>

Anyway have run the Pitstop check again and the results are here

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=U8XBKWXK6N0SPK73

Any further suggestions?

As long as they're unchecked, doug, I shouldn't worry about them. Looking at your test there is only Mailwasher which you can shut down if you're not actually using it. You can add 2x128MB memory sticks to double what you've got now for a fairly impressive performance boost for the money. That will fill your slots to the maximum. Memory is still cheap. You've got green flags all the way so you're doing well !! :)

Guest Grim Reaper

This topic has now been resolved and subsequently closed.

If you wish to add a reply, please contact an administrator or moderator to reopen the topic.