[RESOLVED] -LostRun.exe

Thanks powerless. This is very timely as I've just run a few checks on my system at PitStop and I seem to have some problems too much in the background. So I'll be doing some homework later. :D

I've been trimming my system and have added the Startup Monitor from moons suggestion. On bootup the message raises a query asking if I want C:\Windows\System\Tools\LostRun.exe to load. I've been saying no with no apparent effect. Had a quick in Google for it and am getting references to M$ sucurity discussions. Can anyone enlighten me? :huh:

Well I just re-booted and the damned thing flagged up again, just before the Zone-Alarm splash. Any ideas how I can stop it. I think it's been a resource hogger as I'm now getting better scores at Pit Stop.

Yes but will I have to keep saying no to this file everytime I boot up or is there a way of getting the Startup Monitor to remember?

Lucky is right, doug.

Once you have refused to allow something to register at startup, through StartUp Monitor, it won't ask you about it again so, in effect, it has remembered, yes.

For example, if you load a big package such as Micro$haft Office, you can say 'No' everytime Startup Monitor asks. Office will still run fine, it just won't drag down your bootup.

Like powerless ? said, you only really need Explorer and Sys. Tray to run at startup. They are required. I also allow AVG and my firewall but they are the only four apps. which run when I boot.

EDIT

Well I just re-booted and the damned thing flagged up again

What did ?

Now there's a funny thing. Had a look in my system\tools folder and the only thing there is a file ref. DELEA6C7.RRA and this uses o Bytes. There's nowt else in there. This is curiouser and curiouser.

Guest spikeychris

Looks like it could be a nasty. Do the obvious to get rid.

Or/and, Start msconfig and select the

startup tab. Check for lostrun and if found un-select it

to stop it trying to start in future. You could also just

delete it from the registry:

Applications can be started from a number of places

In the Startup Folder for the current user, and all user

group

In the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi

on\Run

on\RunOnce

on\RunServices

on\RunServicesOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio

n\Run

n\RunOnce

n\RunServices

n\RunServicesOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, run and Load keys

%systemroot%\win.ini

You could also try the old trick of creating a similar file. It would be called "lostrun" in

notepad and place it in the c:\windows\system32\tools directory

Confession time:

You may notice that a few posts are jumbled up and that some posts have been removed from my topic. That is because i have been unleashing my new found powers on the board. We had two topics for dougs problem, one in Software and one in o/s so i decided to merge and move. So, with a bit of luck you can still follow it and we'll solve that problem of dougs.

Thanks to ellas :D

Anyway have just re-booted and same thing again. Can't find LostRun.exe using "find". I seem to have a few things in MSconfig. 10 ticked out of a total of 34 listed. They are :-

ScanRegistry; System Tray; Cmaudio; AVG_cc; Pointer; Run Startuo Monitor; AVGserv9.exe; ZoneAlarm; Rebootand Logitech Desktop Messenger. Does seem an awful lot. Ran Ad-Aware which says I have 20 running processes.

Talk me through it gently please -_-

PS I do have a Cannon Ixus V with ZommBrowser as the application. I really would like to get a mean machine