Forum overreacts a bit

Belatucadrus

Up to this week I've been a PC/Tech Adviser forum member of long standing until recently I posted something FE didn't like much so rather than get in a bunfight over something we weren't going to agree on I closed my account. For a couple of days my posts sat on the system identified as "Deleted" if you clicked on this it said I'd been a naughty boy and had been banned. No I wasn't I quit, then today I note that everything I'd ever posted over god knows how many years of trying to be helpful has been redacted. I've been wiped off the files completely so nice to know how your contributions are appreciated.

You're not alone in this. It's happened to me several times over the years on different forums (including PC Advisor with the notorious whatshisname - with whom, if we had had any physical presence, would have ended in a fight, I'm sure).

All will be good in the end. 

In the current situation it's a total irrelevance covid-19 and an elderly mother means we went into a near lock-down state a week before everybody else, there's way more important stuff to consider. I suppose I was surprised and maybe my ego took a hit as having been rendered a non person nobody seems to have noticed or cared. Makes you realise how utterly meaningless all the "friends" people have on social media are. Not that I Facebook or anything never seen the attraction.

Ho hum back to the book.:pardon:

• 4 months later...

Looks as If I jumped ship just in time as Techadvisor forum has just announced it's closing up shop on 2nd September. Can't say I'm surprised, after the last redesign of the website the forums vanished from the main toolbar and were consigned to the bottom of a dropdown menu on the "More" tab. Hardly the best spot if you actually have any interest in people finding and using it. This design faux pas was pointed out by several users including yours truly but was never corrected, which rather confirmed that the powers that be had lost interest and wanted an excuse to bury it.

• 2 weeks later...

And with a fizzle not a bang it ends, I did rejoin to say a few farewells but in common with all users we've been anonymized and I am now officially " Anon-2462831 ".

I did post a link here but as we've not had any new accounts set up since  Barbican 75 in April and he/she has proven a person of few words, it looks as if we've not pulled in any new blood.