Moon's assembly

moon

I figure that if I show myself up in this thread it will save the wallflowers from a similar embarrassment. :D

I've installed the HDD's into the case. The mobo came with two SATA connecting leads ( luckily) and I was wise enough to buy two SATA power leads. No probs. there.

I've installed the FDD into the case and there's a FDD ribbon cable with the mobo. Kewl. Should there be a power cable too ?

I've installed the CD-RW into the case. It was OEM so there's no manual. There don't seem to be any leads at all for that. What does it need ? I'm guessing that it connects via an IDE ribbon. I don't have any IDE HDD's so can it go straight to IDE 1 on the mobo ? I got three IDE ribbons with the mobo. I'm also guessing that it's powered directly from the PSU via a female IDE power block. Right ? Lastly , do I have to buy a CD-IN Audio cable ? There isn't one of those. :blink: :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should there be a power cable too ?

Use one of the small connectors from the PSU.

I've installed the CD-RW into the case. 

I'm guessing that it connects via an IDE ribbon.

Correct - don't forget to jumper it as Master if its your only IDE device on that channel.

I'm also guessing that it's powered directly from the PSU via a female IDE power block. Right ? 

Yes

Lastly , do I have to buy a CD-IN Audio cable ?

Depends on the O/S - if its 98 you will, if its XP then signal is via the IDE cable.

Not bad for guesswork, eh ? :blink: :D

Depends on the O/S - if its 98 you will, if its XP then signal is via the IDE cable.

It will be 2K Pro, boris. ?

My IDE channels are numbered 1-4, Lucky. 1 O.K. , or should the CD-RW go to 2 and leave 1 empty for a future IDE HDD ?

Guest Grim Reaper
Not bad for guesswork, eh ? :blink:  :D 

It will be 2K Pro, boris. ?

My IDE channels are numbered 1-4, Lucky. 1 O.K. , or should the CD-RW go to 2 and leave 1 empty for a future IDE HDD ?

hdd's go onto channel 1

cdr/w's and dvd's go onto channel 2

channels 3 & 4 are for RAID config......ask ellas about those!!

and re cd-re onto 2....got it correct first time..well done moon!!

Will do. I've almost got all the cables sussed. One odd one though. The female Firewire port on the case front has a substantial cable leading from it which terminates in- a male Firewire plug. There is no female receptacle on the board. There is a receptacle marked 'Firewire' but it ain't anything like a female Firewire receptacle. Is an adaptor of some sort required ?

EDIT: I'll scan the mobo plan tomorrow and then I can post you extracts. You're really looking forward to that, aincha ? :D

I got two IDE RAID and two SATA ! So there . :wacko:

Thanks for that link, I was wondering about that. I'll go get 'em.

Here's the Firewire problem. The mobo came with a Firewire lead which connects to the larger of the mobo Firewire sockets ( IEEE 1394) at the top and terminates in one Firewire port for the back of the machine. It is the lower Firewire terminal which is unsuitable for my case Firewire lead which terminates in a male Firewire plug. I guess there must be an adapter available ? It would have to take the form of an insulated lead as it's inside the case. Waddya think ?

Lucky, yes , that's it. Clever chap. :D

I figure that if I show myself up in this thread it will save the wallflowers from a similar embarrassment.  :D

Lastly , do I have to buy a CD-IN Audio cable ?  There isn't one of those.  :blink:  :D

Good to see you are getting stuck in. :D

As for the c\d audio cable, you don't need one. You could enable digital audio playback through windows. This will enable you to play music c\d's etc through your cdrw drive. It uses the IDE ribbon cable to send the signal. Although this is for 98, I think it is the same path for 2000.

http://www.windowsforumhosting.com/support...?showtopic=3600

If not then it is device manager \cdrw drive \ properties \ enable digital cd audio for this device. Put a tick in the box. :lol:

Ellas, I think Moon's board does have 4 raid channels. 2 x ata133 and 2 x sata 150.

is it possible to buy a cable instead of adaptor and take the case one out and fit a new one from the mobo to case,had a look on google for adapters but not much luck.as for the audio cable well there a few pence at maplin you may as well buy one.