I wonder what happened when this website got 1k members online on the same day?

pewpewmarc

On 8/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, Belatucadrus said:

Ah the good old days before the grim reaper and father time got together and pruned the active member list.

Though to be honest I doubt we ever got near a real world 1K members, If we did a load of them are spammers or oddballs who signed up and never came back.

hmmm interesting note. so the number counted by the stat counter on the site is just a bunch of IP addresses just being logged as online all at the same day then? 😀

possibly a bunch of google bots, or web crawlers too.

Though may I ask what was the original purpose of this forum since I've found and seen some very old posts indeed. 😅

2 hours ago, pewpewmarc said:

what was the original purpose of this forum 😅

Well not being part of the original formation, what was going on in Craigs head when he set things up remains a matter of conjecture and as he hasn't looked in since October last year will be pleasantly surprised if he decides to elucidate. I think it was originally a gathering place of PC fans willing to share what they knew with people who were encountering problems with Microsofts OS which back in 2002 wasn't as clever as the later iterations. It quickly expanded into a general purpose meeting place where a load of people could share stuff they'd found online and where they wished just vent about stuff that annoyed them. Politics was good as members had a broad spectrum of views and some of the debates were vigorous edging into the acrimonious. 

Over time however members dropped away, either losing interest or in some cases dropping dead. The forum hasn't really recovered and without Boris heroic maintenance would be buried under a deluge of spam. Of the five staff moderators he's the only truly active one remaining and the Forum administrators are rare visitors so how long this continues is any bodies guess. 

Boris has I think been here since the start so may have more to offer.

Well it says the 1697 peak happened at 07.29 on 22.01.20

- but I'm fairly sure the actual date was way back in the 2000s - when we used to get 30 active members in at the same time. 

Still, I've only been here for 19 years 4 months, so my memory may be a tad confused ????? 😕

1 hour ago, Belatucadrus said:

Of the five staff moderators he's the only truly active one remaining

I would in no way call myself active - I have been retired from work for 15 years now and my moving bits are way past their "Best by" date 🙂

On 8/25/2022 at 3:53 AM, Belatucadrus said:

Well not being part of the original formation, what was going on in Craigs head when he set things up remains a matter of conjecture and as he hasn't looked in since October last year will be pleasantly surprised if he decides to elucidate. I think it was originally a gathering place of PC fans willing to share what they knew with people who were encountering problems with Microsofts OS which back in 2002 wasn't as clever as the later iterations. It quickly expanded into a general purpose meeting place where a load of people could share stuff they'd found online and where they wished just vent about stuff that annoyed them. Politics was good as members had a broad spectrum of views and some of the debates were vigorous edging into the acrimonious. 

Over time however members dropped away, either losing interest or in some cases dropping dead. The forum hasn't really recovered and without Boris heroic maintenance would be buried under a deluge of spam. Of the five staff moderators he's the only truly active one remaining and the Forum administrators are rare visitors so how long this continues is any bodies guess. 

Boris has I think been here since the start so may have more to offer.

Very interesting, thanks for the story, 😁 so the community never grew quite large enough? 😅

So this site is still up and running, just on maintenance mode? It sort of feels like an archive now.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:49 AM, Boris said:

Well it says the 1697 peak happened at 07.29 on 22.01.20

- but I'm fairly sure the actual date was way back in the 2000s - when we used to get 30 active members in at the same time. 

Still, I've only been here for 19 years 4 months, so my memory may be a tad confused ????? 😕

wow! That's a quite a while ago, so by your estimations, in the early 2000s the most humans you got on here was around 30 members more or less? 

I wonder what caused the spike then? Crawlers, web bots, humans looking for a certain search on google that can be found on one of the topics..... the pandemic or something?

I'm just guessing at this point. 😅

On 8/25/2022 at 5:54 AM, Boris said:

I would in no way call myself active - I have been retired from work for 15 years now and my moving bits are way past their "Best by" date 🙂

ah well, best by dates are just "guess by dates" in my opinion, most products can still be used waaaaaaaay after that. 🤣

Not unless it contained a smorgasbord of chemicals. Which probably has expiry date rather than use by date. 😉

On 8/31/2022 at 8:15 AM, pewpewmarc said:

So this site is still up and running, just on maintenance mode? It sort of feels like an archive now.

True, there are still a few of the old crew still breathing that look in on occasion but the number of live threads is negligible and the number of non spam posters is pretty close to zero.

Why do Boris and I bother ? Just living in the past I guess waiting for the grim reapers knock on the door.  

• 4 weeks later...